Cosmos 2 random star system generator , here it is in Homemade Settings, World Building & Galaxy Construction
TerroX May 30 2011, 00:09 Group: A.Net Staff, Admin of Doom Quote Post
This is something I've been working on in my spare time, to randomly generate star systems according to Cosmos 2

http://alternityrpg.net/solar_system_generator

It should be fairly accurate. It does not generate planet mass yet or the stuff after it in the PDF, I might add that later.

Sometimes the planets "inside prime" orbit have non-standard orbits, but I had to do this to avoid a bug.

I don't think I have orbits totally correct, they seem odd.

The PRINTABLE version of the page is on white, do a Print Preview to see it.

Screenshot for you Internet Explorer uses who can't use SVG.

Attached Image
Attached Image
someone_else May 31 2011, 06:47 Group: Heroes, Official provider of nitpicking services Quote Post
Cool. I can zoom on the image until it is big as I want without losing quality! The magic of the SVG. I'd like it more if you could make it bigger from the beginning though. Or have something like a the full orbits from "above" and from the side of the ecliptic plane. But maybe it's something you'll add at the end when everything is working nicely.

other than that, I found something weird. Clicked on the link and the random generator generated the system you see below as an image.
The part that feels weird is this:
Author
Non-jovian System
Prime 3Mj Inner system Orbit 0.7 AU Supertorrid zone Asteroid Belt

An asteroid belt massing like 3 Jupiters?

More tries at Giant, Major and Minor system show that the generator rolls the Prime Jovian mass anyway even if it is only a Foundation Planet, that should have a far smaller mass.
I'm half-sure 10 Mj Vestans make no sense whatsoever. wacko.gif

Attached Image
Attached Image
Starbrat May 31 2011, 10:12 Group: Grid Cop, Moderator AI Quote Post
Well, TerroX said that the masses weren't working yet, but I do think it represents a great start. It's a very fast way of populating an entire sector in minutes, leaving you to investigate the interesting ones that might have a bearing on your game.
someone_else May 31 2011, 18:36 Group: Heroes, Official provider of nitpicking services Quote Post
Yeah, forgot to say how awesome is something like this.

I have to roll dozens of systems to get something that I finally like, and this makes the process very fast.
TerroX May 31 2011, 22:46 Group: A.Net Staff, Admin of Doom Quote Post
Yes primes and jovians confused me a lot near the start. I'm still confused by main-sequence.

Asteroid belt showing the planet mass just gives an idea of the amount of asteroid debris. I made the width of the asteroid belt "visually" related to the mass of the planet rolled up.
TerroX Jun 9 2011, 08:14 Group: A.Net Staff, Admin of Doom Quote Post
You can also save the generated planets and suns .svg image and edit it in Inkscape (a free Vector Editing program).

You will need to put a black box behind it if you want to see the stars, the generated image has no background by default so that it can be printed on white paper.

Attached Image
Attached Image
sheikhjahbooty Sep 12 2011, 06:11 Group: Heroes, Level 1 Quote Post
I am seriously blown away. Not only did I just go through Cosmos 2, but there's this program that generates visual images and does some of the randomization for you?

Cosmos 2 is amazing. Most of these random planet or star system generation tables are seriously weighted towards Earth-like planets, because we are conditioned to think these are the most interesting environments for sci-fi adventures.

But seriously, realistic systems are so much more interesting. Just imagine the ingenuity that would need to be involved to live in places like this.

blink.gif wub.gif ohmy.gif
Guardian Sep 12 2011, 09:10 Group: Heroes, WarHulk AI Quote Post
Proving once again that reality is far more interesting than the pap gaming companies usually put out.

Also, that Starbrat is a genius for writing this in the first place.
blacksunrunner Sep 13 2011, 13:23 Group: Heroes, Master of the Puniverse Quote Post
How the hell did I miss this? It's great! wub.gif
Viper May 15 2012, 21:51 Group: Heroes, Level 1 Quote Post
I like this, its very handy but it has terms that are not defined anywhere like "Cryosubjovian"
Pages: (2) [1] 2 

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search