Fantastic Stuff in Fantasy and Progress Level 3
derek_holland Nov 21 2010, 14:45 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
(Gah, why did I think of the basis of this thread now instead of when the forum started?)

A thread for all things magical that aren't equipment, locations or critters. To start off with:

Clouds don't have to be water. Different colors are the result of different substances or energies. Some are the result of certain kinds or amounts of magic used in an area (green clouds are from spells that kill plantlife). Others are from the interaction between events (red clouds at sunrise and sunset are godsblood and can be used to heal even the most grevious of wounds).

Any ideas?
ja Nov 21 2010, 19:50 Group: Heroes, Bakugan wannabe Quote Post
I always had a thing for rune etched stones that float in mid air.
Their purpose?
They could be magical riddle of the ancients that requires from adventurers to align them in certain way. Or they could be some strange aftereffect of magical experiments.
derek_holland Feb 4 2012, 20:57 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
Crop circles could be places of magic energy and just the basic form of something much more impressive- 3 (or more) dimensional shapes that either stick out of the ground or float above it. They can be much more than just plants or minerals- they could the the only source of magical energies or materials with unique properties.
derek_holland Jan 6 2013, 12:02 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
Taxes come in several supernatural forms- unspent skill points (i.e. a brain drain), PEP, FXP and the loss of perks or even skill ranks. Obviously some are much more crippling than others.
uncle_jimbo Jan 7 2013, 06:04 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (derek_holland @ Jan 6 2013, 23:02)
Taxes come in several supernatural forms- unspent skill points (i.e. a brain drain), PEP, FXP and the loss of perks or even skill ranks. Obviously some are much more crippling than others.

So spellcasters might have an obligation to cast spells or construct items for the government? This sounds a lot like a knight or yeoman's obligations under feudalism and probably would develop both the same drawback and the same solution. If the ruler wants magic on tap for a longer period, rather than his subject serving a few days and then going home, replacement of the obligation of service with money to hire a surrogate will become popular with both parties.

In this case, paying for a sacrifice of one sort or another seems a likely equivalent that turns up in a number of fantasy worlds.

The state might have some means to store spell points (however defined), like a big menhir that gets charged up when suitable subjects participate in a group ritual. This would most likely occur seasonally, for reasons of efficiency, meaning that the nation would have big charges of magic to use at certain predictable times, maybe a bit like Egypt with its droves of labourers sitting idle while the Nile flooded.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Jan 7 2013, 06:15
TerroX Jan 7 2013, 23:06 Group: A.Net Staff, Admin of Doom Quote Post
Wow that magic tax opens up many possibilities.
There'd be plenty of magic devices which can store magic, so there's no reason NOT to tax all the wizards.
With a giant stockpile of magic power there can be lots of active spells which protect the area in various ways - petty crime, harmful magic, antisocial behaviour. The rulers can just have a few weak wizards that have access to unlimited spells.

The GM can reign in an overpowered wizard with more tax or defend against rogue wizards and all sorts of other things.
Guardian Jan 8 2013, 02:32 Group: Heroes, WarHulk AI Quote Post
Of course, there will be those interested in snagging the goods as well. PCs, for example.
derek_holland Jan 8 2013, 13:30 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Jan 7 2013, 02:04)
So spellcasters might have an obligation to cast spells or construct items for the government?

You can think of it that way, but I was thinking more of

Author

The state might have some means to store spell points (however defined), like a big menhir that gets charged up when suitable subjects participate in a group ritual. This would most likely occur seasonally, for reasons of efficiency, meaning that the nation would have big charges of magic to use at certain predictable times, maybe a bit like Egypt with its droves of labourers sitting idle while the Nile flooded.

this. Skill points could be used to enhance government workers and/or leaders. FXP and PEP could be used to power just about anything as per TerroX's post and much more.

Author

Of course, there will be those interested in snagging the goods as well. PCs, for example.

I would expect that. Any organization, from a village government to planar corporation could use this to build up astounding amounts of power. The smallest ones would be restricted to skill points, perks and the occasional adept or mindwalker.

The question is how easy is it to steal the energy? If the key is a person, protection from possession will be the most common form of defense in the setting. If the key is a device, it will be under constant survillance. Keys in the form of spells is way too dangerous as there would be adepts constantly trying to hack the power supply.
Guardian Jan 9 2013, 01:53 Group: Heroes, WarHulk AI Quote Post
Surveillance or protection is only part of the equation. There's also the issue of response times. Knowing who's wandering around the religious site (that's what menhirs are, after all) doesn't help unless you know they're a caster, and you can get there before they tap into the mana well. Because once they have access to that much power--

Actually, I'm not sure whether it would be worse for them to be able to control it, or if they can't.
derek_holland Feb 18 2013, 20:10 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
An idea I will be posting to my blog in longer format tomorrow morning.

Life started on land.

That means there are no fish, crustaceans, jellies, sea stars, corals, etc. All the life in the oceans, and if the setting has it, the underdark, has to be derived from something on land.

One could populate them with aquatic dinosaurs and creatures from the Age of Mammals. Or the seas could have gilled rodents, insects and birds replacing the smaller animals. Corals would be replaced with trees and other forms of vegetation.
Pages: (113) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search