The basics of running a forum game. in Online Game requests and announcements
Guardian Jun 22 2009, 07:59 Group: Heroes, WarHulk AI Quote Post
So I got an e-mail from a member asking if we had a thread with the general rules for effectively running a forum game. And I discovered we don't. We have bits of advice scattered out all over, but no one thread.

So I'm starting this, and hopefully we can get some good discussions going.

Also, could TerroX or one of the mods pin this, so it doesn't get lost in the mass?
Guardian Jun 22 2009, 08:01 Group: Heroes, WarHulk AI Quote Post
Author (the email that started it all)
Is there a thread some where that will tell me, or teach me to run an online campaign here? I've been writing some awesome campaigns as of late, but I've no gamers here where I live. I'm an experienced Alternity GM, but I've never done it online.
Guardian Jun 22 2009, 08:03 Group: Heroes, WarHulk AI Quote Post
Author (my reply)
There isn't a thread as such, although we really should have one. The first place to start is with this thread Ja stickied: http://alternityrpg.net/onlineforums/index...?showtopic=5343.

Other than that, you need to decide how you want to handle dice rolls, which is the main issue. Most GMs default to the 'you roll honor system', although I've noticed a growing trend towards GM rolling.

The other thing you will need is patience. A lot of it. Forum games run much slower than tabletop, and players often disappear for a while without warning. Generally, I use a 5-day autofail rule on die rolls, 10-day SCM rule for called actions, and 30-day drop rule.

Hmm. I think I'm going to start a thread in Online Games and copy this there to start some discussion.
uncle_jimbo Jun 22 2009, 09:35 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
I seem to recall a thread that summarised speech colours and a few similar customs.
Guardian Jun 22 2009, 09:48 Group: Heroes, WarHulk AI Quote Post
I've seen that discussion in half of the games I've been in. But it is a useful one to have, or at least have a plan made up to deal with. I use such a one for my SCMs, with NPCs usually having their own color.

Any other ideas to contribute, folks?
uncle_jimbo Jun 22 2009, 10:20 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
There seems to be a standard range of threads:
  • Out of character
  • edit: Announcements
  • Character generation (sometimes character equipment and/or status are separate threads)
  • House rules
  • Game play for each section (current pinned at the top, older threads unpinned)
Those who use an introduction thread structure might want to comment on that.

Topic pinned

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Jun 22 2009, 12:43
Guardian Jun 22 2009, 10:24 Group: Heroes, WarHulk AI Quote Post
Prologues are wonderful for allowing you to cut out the chaff--those players who tend to be flakes disappear before finishing them. Saves you the trouble of weeding them out after game start.
VonWalther Jun 28 2009, 20:54 Group: Heroes, Beyond Level 20 Quote Post
A thread to keep track of Durability and Equipment is always nice.
EnigmaOfOne32 Jun 28 2009, 21:08 Group: Heroes, GMin' Old Testament Style Quote Post
Not to mention a setting Bible

Pictures also help capture the feel, so you may want a thread to attach images relevant to your game.

An atlas also. Games go nowhere without maps, and having a separate thread for those makes it easier than just dropping them in-game and leaving them there (not to mention it saves the trouble of having to go back and hunt for them).

Also, pinning all of the relevant material (the house rules, the OOC thread, the Character creation thread, etc) while not pinning the chapters makes it easier to find the hard mechanics, imho.

Color scheme is generally the province of the players; I'll use whatever colors the players aren't using (and there's a lot). The sole exception to this is when I feel the need to paint the forth wall (c.f. Wardens, where Red/White/Blue are significant and various shades are all I'll use for NPCs, and I won't let the PCs use Red or White w/o good reason).

Combat is easiest in one of two ways - the GM rolls exclusively, or the GM rolls relevant checks that are required due to immediate effects (such as an Action Check). If you're in a hurry or the game is combat intensive, GM rolling is the best because it saves time. If you're not, let the PCs roll attacks and actions.

The idea of the 5-day autofail, 10-day auto SCM, and 30-day auto drop is nice, G. I think I may start implementing that.

That's all for the moment.
bri_aitsya Jun 29 2009, 02:28 Group: Heroes, Master of the Dread Tome Quote Post
Good catch, Guardian. I, too, got a similar e-mail, and I think you covered it pretty nicely.
Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search