Scifi Campaign Ideas , Scifi board needs loving too! in Homemade Settings, World Building & Galaxy Construction
preludetotheend Nov 5 2007, 03:38 Group: Heroes, Seth Drebitko Quote Post
         So I decided I needed to put up a Sci-fi Campaign Ideas thread, as I love the fantasy thread but have been on a sci-fi kick lately. Even though I have a lot on my plate right now I find moments at work where I have enough time to get a fraction of a coherent thought down but nothing productive enough to directly contribute to any of my projects. This thread will just serve the same purpose as the big beautiful fantasy thread in allowing space for random sci-fi ideas, enjoy happy.gif.

Poor Robots:
I was sitting looking through my books and such taking notice to the fact that robots seem to be a popular evil invasion force and decided there should be a setting with robots as the victims. I figured something like the mechalus creating a nanite race that has a fusion generator in it and its complex AI would develop over time as they grew more nanites creating a larger network. AI’s in the setting would be super hard to come by as human thought pattern is a massively complex issue, and because it is formed from nanite networks as the player took damage they would also take p[penalties to intelligence as their network was disrupted. Robot society and life cycle would be as follows:
-Infancy, Some living robot building basically craps out a little toy like infant robot, who lacking sufficient mass. As the mini fusion drive grows and is able to support more mass it will grow and develop into adulthood.
-Adulthood, the robot will spend more than a century in adulthood until its fusion drive begins to go into overdrive at which point it will be developed into one of the many living structures.
-“Death”, once the robot reaches a certain age its fusion drive goes into overdrive and while its mass increases normally allowing more intelligence to be gained it instead begins to grow at such a massive rate that its processors can not keep up with the expansion and its networks get stretched dangerously thin. The robot will be brought in to have its intelligence connected to the central grid, while its body will then become a malleable nanite platform used for buildings and vehicles.
-Birth, Once a conscious mind is assimilated into the collective there is usually some splintering of files and these splinters serve to be the base of any where from 2-3 robot infants.
-“Conformity”, The standard all robots share the same info is not the same in this concept. Early on in their existence the wretched Fraal and their ilk often infected the “grid” with massive viruses, and so the robots learned that individuality would limit the spread of viral infection.

The enemy would be the creations of the Fraal as I see them, and the Mechalus as the “creator” races playing their creations against one another. The Fraal would use highly advanced biokinetics, and massive cloning plants to continuously fine tune their creations.

Regards, Seth
That should kick things off, like I said I don’t get to work much further than that on an idea at work so I should have more up.        
Kragon Nov 5 2007, 07:45 Group: Heroes, Level 6 Quote Post
Sounds like it will be a good setting to play in. Lots of potential, not tot mention sick twists.

Rogue AI's from either faction. Or possibly a third faction... those of the Mechalus that split from the Mechalus race earlier in their history after the first war they had with another race from their solar system. (think they mentioned it in the core book or one of the 1st ones released after that. Can't remeber it's been to long for specifics for that. lol)

HEHE. Oh the things my old T'sa Engineer would be able to do in that setting, he loved his robots and computer programs. He kept trying to get better and better performance out of them, not to mention the speed for them to be able to keep up with him.

Some good thoughts are starting to boil up from this in my head now.

Going to enjoy it once I get my books again and start to play once more.
Guardian Nov 5 2007, 07:48 Group: Heroes, WarHulk AI Quote Post
Let's see.

The fraal on one side.

The mechalus on the other.

And me, I'm right smack in the middle.

Yojimbo FTW.
derek_holland Nov 6 2007, 02:20 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
The heros are transported off Earth by an alien intelligence and taken to their homeworld. When they get there, the heros are prodded for a week or two and then suddenly the aliens vanish. All of them. The heros are other species that were in the lab/zoo get free and find themselves on a world with technology quite alien, hostile non-sapient natives and no apparent way home. At least the food is edible and water non-toxic.

The heros are uplifts created by a corporation for heavy labor on some backwater planet. They are rhinos, elephants, apes and bears. After living on the world for 20 years under cruel conditions they are freed as a whistleblower got the mines shut down. They are trained to live within society but otherwise left to their own devices. Where are they going to go and what are they going to do?

The heros are ghosts (AIs created from living creatures) with cybershells for working in space (they can not land anywhere with more than ..05 G). Hunting asteroids in a newly colonized system, they look for the big break that will allow them a planet side home.

An accident in the lab destroys most of the bodies of the heros. They are turned into cyborgs with newly developed technology (ie it isn't up to organic body standards). Suddenly they are indebted to the government for saving them. Since they are weaker than normal humans, this is not a combat driven setting. The one advantage they do have is surviving hostile conditions- heat and cold mean little to them. Sent as advisors and spies to the roughest locations on Earth, the heros hope to up upgraded some day. Unfortunately, their lifespan has been cut significantly because of the metal in their bodies.
uncle_jimbo Nov 6 2007, 05:30 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author
The heros are uplifts created by a corporation for heavy labor on some backwater planet. They are rhinos, elephants, apes and bears. After living on the world for 20 years under cruel conditions they are freed as a whistleblower got the mines shut down. They are trained to live within society but otherwise left to their own devices. Where are they going to go and what are they going to do?

This is great. It's a concept for uplifted beings that I'd never considered. They would probably be all of the above, plus horse genes (for efficient muscle tissue) and giraffe (for fancy circulation gimmicks). Elephants, gorillas and bears are reasonably intelligent, but if you're making radical enough changes for a rhino to use tools and language, you might as well make the effort only once or twice and splice in enough bits and pieces to make a truly impressive body. How about giving them the genetic potential to grow either big or really big depending on a nutritional supplement, so that a well-established settlement could grow a few of the larger special-purpose workers as they needed them? Call them baluchitheres, maybe - which would perhaps lead to naming the planet where they were first used Baluchistan.

The company probably wouldn't want an elephant-sized species with several migratory ancestors for mining. That's more a job for some sort of dwarfish badger-based uplift. They would be great for agriculture, though, especially something labour-intensive like paddy rice. It makes no more or less sense to grow rice on a distant planet than to mine bulk ores.

The baluchs would probably not eat rice themselves. They'd need more concentrated nutrition with a fair amount of protein - maybe based on adapted beans and gourds. The designers would want them mostly vegetarian, just because it's more efficient, though it wouldn't be a bad thing if they trapped and ate crop-pests like crows and rats.

Author
The heros are ghosts (AIs created from living creatures) with cybershells for working in space (they can not land anywhere with more than .05 G). Hunting asteroids in a newly colonized system, they look for the big break that will allow them a planet side home.

As I mentioned in another thread, some very interesting things could start to happen with characters who can upload themselves (potentially in more than one copy) into different bodies.
Kragon Nov 6 2007, 10:18 Group: Heroes, Level 6 Quote Post
HHHmmmmm...
Being able to upload your personality or your mind into a cyber construct or into a cybernetic lifeform would be interesting to say the least.

Imagine the clone wars from Star Wars using cyborgs instead of clones. And all the cyborgs being from either the same individual or group of individuals to begin with. Then from there they would begin to change as each individual would begin to experience different things at different times in their new life.

Find one guy or gal that has the potential to become one of the greatest fighter pilots of their era and create a few squadrons of them for planetary defence or invasion of other worlds. Same could be said for the ground and support troops of the invasion.

Imagine the possibilities this would create for assassin type cyborgs. The real assassin all ways safe and secure within a remote facility out of harms way, sending cyborg after cyborg at its target till the target is finally defeated.

Being able to endlessly create copies of the greatest scientists from each race and culture. And never really losing the greatest minds of each era as they would be more copies around to make. Even if after awhile the copies are based off of a copy. heheh. Imagine an error in the coping process on a few of them and what that would begin from that point on.

Guardian Nov 6 2007, 10:26 Group: Heroes, WarHulk AI Quote Post
That's largely the Hand of Thrawn duology from Star Wars there. Although, if the assassin keeps failing with his cyborgs, how is he going to learn from the mistakes to adapt to the defenses? That could well be quite boring for the security patrols.

"Well, it's 10.30 on Tuesday night, so the assassin should be jumping over the fence thanks to the delivery truck right about...now."

Quick firefight.

"Well, that's it for this week."
derek_holland Nov 6 2007, 12:50 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
That is one reason I like Lesser Shades of Evil so much, though it does defeat the issue of copies since the AI can control multiple bodies anywhere on the planet.

Jim, I was envisioning a planet that was being strip mined and thus worker size didn't matter much. In fact they may have to shrink future generations to fit within society's infrastructure. The giants live at home where the punies are traders and diplomats. But that is in the future- the heros are former workers of the mines and it will be hardest for them to adjust to other life. A colonization campaign would be interesting as they already have some of the skills needed and can be taught the rest by human advisors.
Guardian Nov 7 2007, 11:24 Group: Heroes, WarHulk AI Quote Post
The setting is an abandoned space station with a self sustaining power supply and a low level AI that is continuing to work on its assigned tasks--trying to re-evolve creatures from DNA left behind on a lost world. The colony itself was wiped out by a disease that ironically next infected the station's inhabitants.

Now, humans have stumbled upon the station and found a microcosm of uplifted species and their dimwitted God-AI.
derek_holland Nov 7 2007, 21:58 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
The heros are among the last survivors of a colony. It was terraformed centuries ago and was very Earth like, at least until the star increased its output in bursts and turned the planet to dust. They survive within a starship that has been buried in the sand and soil and gather what edible plants still exist. They do not look for water as the ship has contact with an aquafer that should last for a century or more. Then, one day, some lights never seen before light start blinking. Who are in the ship that just appeared in the system? Should the survivors attempt contact?

Addiction is one possible future for advertising. Why attempt to convince people to buy product X when product X can be made addictive? Most of the populace is fairly mindless and driven to buy more and more items, to the point where the life expectancy has dropped to 40 because of damaged brain chemistry. The heros are strong willed and among the few outcasts who see what is happening. How does one bring down a system when such actions may doom all of humanity?

Aliens exist but can not communicate due to differing mental processes. There are few enough that colonization isn't an issue most of the time and never on a large scale- no species has a monolithic government. Systems may be dominated by a local group, but nothing beyond that. The heros are traders/raiders who "collect" goods from the other 2 species in their system and sell them. They generally have no idea what the items do, but there is a big enough market to provide a good lifestyle as long as the raiders aren't blown up by the victims.
Pages: (35) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search