could squat upload characters to online database in SQuAT - Alternity Character Tool
Agreenknight Feb 26 2006, 15:50 Group: BAD EMAIL, FIX then tell TerroX, Level 20 Quote Post
Just curious if that functionality could be made into squat. Is squat opensource?
Redjack Feb 26 2006, 16:58 Group: Heroes, Master of SQuAT Quote Post
No, SQuAT is not opensource. I had considered it, but decided against it.
I am will accept code for additional functionality (Borland Dephi).

Could you elaborate in greater functional detail about uploading to online databases?
(Type of database, transport protocol, where?, etc)
Agreenknight Feb 26 2006, 19:07 Group: BAD EMAIL, FIX then tell TerroX, Level 20 Quote Post
I was thinking it might be a handy tool for a gm, to be able to get the character sheet online. That way if the gm wanted to use that character they would be able too, or other people might be able to use it as a npc. For example for a mud of some sort, might be interesting.
Redjack Feb 27 2006, 03:02 Group: Heroes, Master of SQuAT Quote Post
Have you or are you writing a mud? If so, will you be adding support to directly import SQuAT xml character files? That would be great!
Agreenknight Feb 27 2006, 14:16 Group: BAD EMAIL, FIX then tell TerroX, Level 20 Quote Post
I'm not currently writing a mud, but I may. Just taking a look at things. I know a book on the subject, so it might be to modify it too the needs. Another thing is the graphics. I'm still a beginning programmer so I'm not sure as too my abilities although I have some experience with some game projects (not alot were successful).

This post has been edited by Agreenknight on Feb 27 2006, 14:17
Agreenknight Feb 27 2006, 15:25 Group: BAD EMAIL, FIX then tell TerroX, Level 20 Quote Post
Obviousily a commercial product with Alternity is out of the question. I don't know at this point.

It would be interesting for a gamemaster to be able to look at a character sheet and edit it or send it back. Thing with mud is it needs a conconent theme. Alternity has so much source material I which would be a good theme. Maybe something where people can setup there own adventures. I know there is already tools out there for online play.    

Here is that book I mentioned by the way.
http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/bookd...7&CategoryID=14

This post has been edited by Agreenknight on Feb 27 2006, 15:32
Redjack Feb 27 2006, 17:14 Group: Heroes, Master of SQuAT Quote Post
Well, if you are a beginning programmer you may find the challenges of multi-threaded and network aware applications a bit challenging - but if this becomes your labor of love then you may have the drive needed to succeed.

Personally, I have more hours in SQuAT already than I will admit.. <G>
And my wife quit tracking the hours months ago..
Agreenknight Mar 1 2006, 18:14 Group: BAD EMAIL, FIX then tell TerroX, Level 20 Quote Post
I've considered taking a programming class. It starts off with basic. Then they go to c++ as a second language. Do you work with squat in xml? I've seen you mention it sometimes.
Redjack Mar 1 2006, 18:56 Group: Heroes, Master of SQuAT Quote Post
SQuAT is developed in Borland Delphi (Object-Pascal). I use XML as the document standard simply so that early versions were somewhat compatible with WALTER character document files.
(If you are a student, you can get Borland Delphi at a great discount.)

XML mean eXtensionable Markup Language. Think of it like HTML. It is simply a set of rules for how to organize data, not how to respond to events (like clicking a button).

I have programmed in C++ and a little java. I have also scripted in PHP, Cold Fusion, VB, asp, etc, etc. Starting with Basic is not a bad way to go. As a side note, Anders Hejlsberg the creator of C#, was also the lead Developer on Delphi when he worked for Borland. I expect this hs brought some of the feel of the Delphi IDE and language into the Microsoft Development tools.

This post has been edited by Redjack on Mar 1 2006, 18:57

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search