Organizations in Homemade Settings, World Building & Galaxy Construction
beavis456 May 14 2009, 19:57 Group: Heroes, Lord and Master Quote Post
This is an excellent topic..... I think new groups and organizations are helpful and bring a setting alive....

I have to think of some...
derek_holland Jun 19 2009, 10:40 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
http://alternityrpg.net/onlineforums/index...?showtopic=8125

An example for S*D! And good timing since I have to edit my current article for LR 7 to incorporate the needed changes.

An a slightly expanded template:

Name
Description
Geographical Reach
Primary Goal
Secondary Goals
Assets
Capital
Locations- this may include headquarters, nations or systems as needed
Membership/Employees (the number)

Benefits of Joining (for each rank)- these use the social status rules
Costs of Joining (for each rank)

Benefits of Contacting
Costs of Contacting

Allies
Services Rendered- goods and services done for free because of the alliance
Services Purchases- goods and services sold at a discount because of the alliance. Note that this could be a way to get g & s that are not accessable to the public. Also note that bureaucracy, with penalties, may help in getting g & s from allies of allies. Joining the right organization can cast a wide net for the heros.

Domains- these are for powerful groups only. They determine who has power over whom (think FBI vs local law enforcement). Different skills are needed to use this. Treat them as allies, except they will be either really helpful or really not depending on how the two organizations feel about each other.

Enemies
beavis456 Jun 19 2009, 12:50 Group: Heroes, Lord and Master Quote Post
I added in " Public or Commonly Known" History.. This would be a small paragraph.... just the highlights....

You could also add in Secret History... but that really should be mentioned more in paragraph form .....
derek_holland Jun 19 2009, 13:06 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
Author

I added in " Public or Commonly Known" History.. This would be a small paragraph.... just the highlights....

I would place that under the description. Which is a catch-all anyways. Also, if you have an org with an odd name, the description would be a good place to explain it.

As for secrets that the public doesn't know, I think they would fit under costs of joining and costs of contacting.
uncle_jimbo May 24 2012, 12:29 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Three assassin schools of the future for Traveller:

Deadly Assassins

"..the school of Dark Eon prizes stealth and deception above all else, while the school of Torsten Rex focuses on ranged weapons and one shot-one kill. Finally, the school of Magna Kurr practices ancient Jovian martial arts and can deal punishing blows with almost any part of their bodies."

Matt Sprange has put up a free comic strip (PDF) as a demo for the Dark Eon Kickstarter project.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on May 24 2012, 21:30
uncle_jimbo Sep 14 2012, 07:55 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
I've been thinking what kinds of organisations might be useful to compile as possible inspiration for GMs short on time and ideas. Maybe they could serve some particular functions:
  • organisations whose activities tend to cause trouble and disruption that the heroes can investigate. This need not impose any assumptions about the moral attitude of the organisation - the very best-intentioned people can take ill-considered or radical actions.
  • organisations who tend to give rewards, provide access to special options, or whose purposes the players are likely to favour, placing them as natural quest-givers.
  • groups whose presence enriches the flavour, characterisation, history, player background and overall depth of the setting.

Such a cross-campaign resource would need to state some setting assumptions for each organisation, I would think. Maybe that can add a few sub-headings to the organisation template.

For certain styles of play, it might be interesting to ask players to describe some of these.
uncle_jimbo Jul 7 2013, 07:24 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
21 Organizations for Gypsy Knights Games's Traveller setting offers a variety of examples. The Loyal Order of the Mystic Platypus seems easily transportable. History in the setting of Lancaster Shipping, its influence on whole sectors of colonisation and the present-day groups it's spawned, primarily the Cascadia Colonial Authority, might be inspiring for an idea how Gregor Kent of the Thuldan Empire went about what he accomplished.
derek_holland Oct 21 2015, 18:04 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
Where does their money come from? I asked a similar question here on where do temples spend the money they make off of spell casting: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?768495...-all-that-money
uncle_jimbo Dec 5 2015, 06:44 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
This preview for The Blight shows someone's thinking very much along the same lines:

The Blight: Guilds, Clubs and Cults
uncle_jimbo Mar 13 2019, 20:15 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Looks like a fun addition to a campaign (probably presuming some kind of Precursor technology, but that's reasonably common to SF):

Academy of Gnomic Arts
Pages: (3) 1 2 [3] 

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search