Last night, my new crew of players played for the fourth consecutive week on Table Top Simulator. It's totally great. Rather than building a new campaign from the ground up, I've placed the characters in the same timeline as my previous crew, and even though it's nearly impossible for any players from either crew to meet any players from the other, it's been fun keeping the timeline straight. Here's the Original Campaign
And here's the new one.
Setting: Asheville circa 2050 AD
Turns out, the future was surprisingly predictable. It’s much like the present—only worse in about every way imaginable. The effects of global warming continue to escalate; the national debt continues to expand; income inequality, racial tensions, class warfare, the prevalence of guns, political polarization, on and on and on, it’s all gotten worse.
But the really bad news is that there’s no good news. Our social and technological development seems to have stalled out in the 2020’s and maybe even regressed in some ways. We don’t have flying cars, and we haven’t cured cancer.Cast: A small indie film crew trying to relaunch the cult classic Highlander franchise.
– Director & Thief – Delilah's been making movies since she was a kid. She dropped out of high school and began thieving in order to fund her first film, which did well enough for her to fund another, which did well enough for her to fund another. She's never achieved major commercial success but makes just enough money on each of her futuristic, humanistic films to make one more. Her latest endeavor is a re-envisioning of the cult classic Highlander—this time casting a Muslim-American woman who's from the Highlands of North Carolina. Delilah's also a raging alcoholic. More on that another time.
– Actress & Action Star: Zayaan Hassan had some early success as a child actress on a dumb TV sitcom. Now, she's trying to shed her image of the cute little neighbor and establish herself as an action star in Delilah Broadstroke's remake of Highlander.
Domingo Dos Santos
– Actor, Stunt Man – Domingo Dos Santos went from high school to the army and from the army to doing stunt work. He's been cast as the villain in Broadstroke's remake of the cult classic Highlander film, which will be his first actual acting role. He's got a lot of nicknames: Dom, Dos, Deuce. He likes them all. More importantly, he likes being a part of something. When in character, he's terrifying. Out of character, he's a gentle giant.
– Key Grip, Gaffer, Editor – Ike's somewhere on the spectrum. If not for his persistence presence, the rest of the crew may well think he doesn't much like any of them. Just the same, he quietly shows up to work, drives the truck, handles much of the practical effects, lighting, and sound during production, and helps with the editing in post. He's been with Delilah Broadstroke for years, and he almost seems excited about the Highlander remake they're working on.
– Best Boy & Mechanic – Val is in some way's the crew's foundation. Things would fall apart if she weren't around. So would the people. She's the best girl, a mechanic, a medic, and has been known to delve into practical effects. Val's kind-spirit and can-do attitude pull the crew through bad times.
– Reporter – Escher aspires to be a great writer like his grandfather Ashe; however, he has thus far been stuck writing puff pieces for the Mt. X-plicit's entertainment section. He's riding with the crew to do a story on their remake of the cult classic film Highlander. Escher's a chain smoker prone to coughing fits. He's not much of a fighter, though he does carry a small pistol that he's never used to scare of would-be muggers.