A Galaxy in a Grain of Sand , Advanced Single Star System Campaigns in Homemade Settings, World Building & Galaxy Construction
derek_holland Feb 17 2019, 19:50 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
Author (cobalt_phoenix @ Feb 17 2019, 15:36)
I personally don't normally like dystopian settings, more because of what it normally requires to actually achieve them. For the Dredd universe to really exist, you would have to have unemployment on a massive scale compared to the population (likely talking Great Depression levels if not higher) and it would have to be like that normally (which doesn't seem practicable).

They may not be very practical, but they do exist in the real world. Haiti, Niger, Somalia, South Sudan, Central African Republic, etc. Many such nations have had very high levels of unemployment for decades, multiple generations.

As for specialization, it doesn't even have to be function. Look at nations with very different cultures and languages that border each other, Spain and France for example. A hero would be someone who has to use either technology or interpreters to really understand what is going on.

In a way it is like some settings where humans from different planets treat each other as aliens.
cobalt_phoenix Feb 18 2019, 05:44 Group: Heroes, Beyond Level 20 Quote Post
Author
They may not be very practical, but they do exist in the real world. Haiti, Niger, Somalia, South Sudan, Central African Republic, etc. Many such nations have had very high levels of unemployment for decades, multiple generations.

Well, most of those have quite a bit of history wrapped up in explaining why they are the way they are, and much of it was more due to outside interference from colonialism, slavery, the Cold War... I'm not going to get into them right now, but let's just say they didn't simply end up the way they are, and many of them weren't that bad in the relatively recent past.

So I'll say that you can have them, but the reasons for why they exist are probably going to be very complicated (especially for the people who live in them).

Author
As for specialization, it doesn't even have to be function. Look at nations with very different cultures and languages that border each other, Spain and France for example. A hero would be someone who has to use either technology or interpreters to really understand what is going on.

Oh hell, just drive around the US and you can see that. I've been in the South West, the Midwest, the West Coast, the East Coast, the Northeast, the South, the Deep South... Don't let the common nationality fool you, they are all different cultures and languages (even if they claim to be speaking "English", which is the same language spoken in the UK, and there is a phrase "two nations separated by a common language" that describes the US and UK).

However, I do see what you mean. The Alsace-Lorraine region of France mostly speaks German (funny, huh?), and a good chunk of Southern France speaks a dialect(s) of Spanish.

I can easily see a group of arcologies within a nation beginning to form their own culture separate from the rest of the nation. In fact, it is distinctly possible that, as the arcologies are built, the populations within them start to form a culture unique from those who live in the older-styled cities (especially true since a true arcology would be effectively self-sufficient).
Pages: (3) 1 2 [3] 

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search