Pages: (2) 1 [2]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
> Gunslingers of Concord Taurus, was Asimoor Pirates
Quote Post
uncle_jimbo, Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin submitted 64 Resources has rated 119 resources, submitted 0 artworks and is involved with 3 projects.

The Companions of the Hajj operate a long-distance network, particularly within StarMech, the Thuldan Empire, the Concord Neutralities and nearby Open Space, and the Rigunmor Consortium, to help Muslims to undertake the pilgrimage to Earth, should they take the side of a considerable theological debate that asserts this as still an obligation.

Chartering and operating passenger vessels, lending money for travel and defending pilgrims where danger exists, they strive to remain what organisations of many religions have claimed: neither preachers nor political agitators, but an order of service and protection - though the last of their duties can demand hard decisions as to where the limits of defence of the faithful fall.

Like the Asimoors, the Companions use the designation of mamluk for heavily armed combatants, though they seldom use cybernetic enhancement for this purpose.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Dec 29 2018, 13:05
online PM Email Poster Users Website
Quote Post
uncle_jimbo, Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin submitted 64 Resources has rated 119 resources, submitted 0 artworks and is involved with 3 projects.

Author (uncle_jimbo @ Dec 27 2018, 17:58)
The Judged Moons, Terror, Fire, Pain and Death

And/or Mortis, Phobia, Nausea and others, or perhaps just Change or Time. As might be apparent, I've given myself room to shovel in a few more references if wanted.

Author (uncle_jimbo @ Dec 29 2018, 20:40)
The sparse settlers have formed a culture of feuding clans, vendettas and tragedies between hard, tersely-spoken, stereotypically grey-eyed folk, where every inhabitant past nine years carries a long rifle and studies the disciplines of aiming, blinding (hide-building), hand-loading and gunsmithing.

I have an adventure hook in mind, but first I should describe at least one other group.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Dec 29 2018, 13:03
Quote Post

Author (uncle_jimbo @ Dec 16 2018, 13:38)
Without anger, aggression or threat, it is permissible for a peaceable man to defend his life and the lives of the innocent - The Peaceable Traveller's Creed

A bit more than I had contemplated, but sometimes a saint's intervention needs to be impressive:

The wonderworker

Could a location have thunderbirds, dinosaurs and underground lost outposts of t'sa? I think so.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Dec 31 2018, 21:17
Quote Post

Their neighbours accepted the peculiar s-persons as travelling justices and defenders in a desperate time by their evident dedication and determination.

A help in desperate times:

Saint Serpentor

Chuck Norris may come up shortly.

edit: Old gunslingers never die: The Two-Gun Kid

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Feb 1 2019, 02:25
Quote Post

Let's see how I go for time on this.

The Pursuit

Contact with humanity has influenced the inquisitive t'sa in many different ways. From the early years, physical travel further and faster than ever before, access to the discoveries and thoughts of another species and, not least, release from the intrigues of the ruling worlds drew many to spread through human-settled space, taking up many new ideas. In Austrin-Ontis territory, many t'sa gravitated to the School of Sentiencies at the University of Farmington.

The outbreak of war brought tension, political debate and, for some, radicalism. A group following the writer K'li, known in the Austrin press of the day as Liberty Lizard, after escalating disputes, made a demonstration of resolve with a home-built RF spike over the hostile-environment colony of Green Valley, compromising life support and endangering many, including a neo-natal ward.

In consternation, the Students of Liberty fled towards ungoverned t'sa settlements of Chatoyant Sector. Austrin-Ontis dispatched a task group to bring them in, led by the light carrier Kipchak.

The chase grew lengthy as strategic reverses cut off the ship from contact with central command. Repeatedly, groups of enlisted spacehands and engineering crew demanded to remain behind as Settlers with more stable colonies or space stations, the command crew and Outrider pilots only taking the ship to continue the voyage by increasingly harsh measures. In the end the 'Riders and the carrier have been lost to history except as the legend of the Lost Eagles. (And if you think that might be an Eagle of the Ninth reference, that's entirely possible.)

The homesteaders' saloons in colonies like Juarez attract others who appreciate the Austrin culture of hard liquor, gambling and debauchery, from such diverse and often violently incompatible backgrounds as ex-Nariacs, Leodals, orang bintang and pans.

The fugitive t'sa remain in Concord Taurus too, no longer much concerned with intellectualism. Some hone their abilities as quick draw artists (edit: sabot-eurs), but while the professional duellists in that tradition are killers enough, more serious triggermen are better known as aficionados of high-tech submachineguns, either laser-based or gyro-stabilised to extreme rates of fire.

So on principles I've aired before, a story like this should come around into view of the players, perhaps as a big finish to an adventure:

Canyon o'Doom
  • Palmyra Sector: Treasure of the Sierra Padre
  • The Moons of Chaos
  • The Bugbear Clan
    • Nails, Morningstar-class Strike Frigate
  • The Riders: A century-old fighter wing takes flight against injustice, probably for the last time.
  • edit: Friendship is the Greatest Treasure / It Belongs in a Museum: In which the party probably doesn't get any treasure.
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Dec 29 2018, 22:48)
I have an adventure hook in mind, but first I should describe at least one other group.

Flame of the West: Transfer of leadership of a Settler enclave rests on proof of the true Austrin-Ontis tradition by a rifle-shooting contest. The wealthy rancher who fancies his chances is a good enough shot, but to make sure of the outcome in impressive style, he'll pay top dollar for a truly impressive weapon. The only gun he wants must be hand-built by a notorious and reclusive gunsmith of Nimloth.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Feb 17 2019, 03:19
Quote Post

Author (uncle_jimbo @ Feb 1 2019, 16:24)
many t'sa gravitated to the School of Sentiencies at the University of Farmington.

Clearly a troubled institution. I don't know how a planet called New Jersey would sit with Austrin-Ontis.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Feb 8 2019, 23:47
Quote Post

Their values of cunning, power, fate and death surround worship of God the Father, lord of beasts, Brother Lorenzo, the miracle-worker, exemplar and teacher, and the painted woman Sister Lilith Maria Perdita.

More miracles:

Angel of swords

Author
A sesheyan aspirant once was exposed as a VoidCorp agent, questioned and executed, yet the leaders of the order maintain a shrine to his memory (human visitors are exceedingly few).

They might even consider canonising him: the Blessed Loki Prometheus.

Author
A help in desperate times:

Saint Serpentor

Some prefer Saint Simian (I think it's deliberate).

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Feb 12 2019, 08:18
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Star*Drive | Next Newest »

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll