Traveller world mapping , was Leviathan in Homemade Settings, World Building & Galaxy Construction
uncle_jimbo Dec 25 2018, 21:47 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Dec 24 2018, 19:26)
I mentioned that it would be useful to have a converter on hand to translate Traveller planetary codes to Alternity, as quickly as possible. I've knocked one together, though some breakpoints might not be exactly right. I'll have a good chance to test it.

An example of varying the system under different assumptions, particularly for governments, or it might be better to say, administration:

Hard Space world generation

This might be a more sensible place for the file mentioned.

edit: Needs revision, as noted below.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Jan 3 2019, 11:42
uncle_jimbo Dec 26 2018, 00:33 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
I've run through a couple using my conversion table in the other thread, with a slight tweak to generate a bit more information about Hydrography / Oceans. I've put together a quick template to capture Alternity stats, simpler than the Alien Compendium or what I've posted to Resources, though still the Traveller standard doesn't supply all of it.

Reading off the UWP seems reasonably quick, as planned. Both came up as Super-Terran, but this accurately reflects Book 3, in which Earth is below average size and it's not easy to generate Sub-Terran worlds.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Dec 26 2018, 00:54

Attached File ( Number of downloads: 8 )
Attached File  basic_world_template.txt
uncle_jimbo Dec 26 2018, 02:09 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Dec 26 2018, 11:33)
I've put together a quick template to capture Alternity stats, simpler than the Alien Compendium or what I've posted to Resources, though still the Traveller standard doesn't supply all of it.

Immediate gaps are Radiation, Heat and for one of the two first examples, Climate. I could work out a couple of tables to generate these semi-randomly within a range that doesn't cause particular problems, with influence from other statistics, mostly World Atmosphere and Technology Level (this might seem backwards, but Traveller stats describe the mainworld, where humans have managed to settle and still survive).

For my present purpose, I can say they're not worthy of note, unless in fact the scenario has so noted them, and default to R1, H2.
uncle_jimbo Dec 26 2018, 03:12 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
With assumptions above, this should give enough information to assign an environment class, though it would take a bit longer and not really affect anything as yet.

edit: Looking again at Traveller's "Tainted" atmosphere types and the GMG, I probably should count A3 for this purpose as Class 1a rather than, or as an alternative to, Class 2 (I haven't changed that table for a while). A respirator mask is PL 4, which is close enough to my definition, and theoretically earlier cultures could probably make one. The older game seems to treat them (despite initial descriptions) as minor setting colour that low-tech expedients or long-term adaptation can overcome.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Dec 26 2018, 09:17
uncle_jimbo Jan 3 2019, 11:41 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Dec 26 2018, 11:33)
Both came up as Super-Terran, but this accurately reflects Book 3, in which Earth is below average size and it's not easy to generate Sub-Terran worlds.

This seems inconvenient, and what's more, doesn't match The Solomani Rim. Size indicates the diameter of the planet. I'll have to make adjustments.

Mars (size 4) is a Terran planet in the GMG, but Mercury (size 3) is Sub-Terran. Only size A is significantly larger than Earth.

I glanced at what Book 1 says about gravity too, but as before, I'll rely on Cosmos-2 more. edit: The density factor K is interesting, though for the purpose of this thread, I haven't seen it listed for any Traveller published planets.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Jan 4 2019, 20:05

Attached File ( Number of downloads: 5 )
Attached File  uwp1_2.pdf

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search