Myrina , was Rhodia in Homemade Settings, World Building & Galaxy Construction
uncle_jimbo Mar 12 2018, 04:55 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Oct 23 2017, 10:56)
Pelgrane's upcoming Cthulhu City is also urban and Lovecraftian, but takes a different direction.

Author
The people who live in Great Arkham did nothing wrong – the city is not Hell, and they are not sinners.

Plenty of this seems usable, starting with the towers. The Church of the Conciliator's theology should be good for a chuckle and its inner initiates might persist in even a scientifically rational setting, as at least a plausible interpretation of the true nature of the universe. Some of Dunwich will fit with my Comtois.

The Suspicion mechanic doesn't exactly fit my intentions here, but might enhance play anywhere that the authorities have the potential to become hostile to the heroes. I can think of applications for almost literally any of the stellar nations.

If using the setting more or less as written, it might help to describe the cults as organisations. Cult Influence might even suggest some useful extensions.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Mar 12 2018, 06:03
uncle_jimbo Dec 25 2018, 01:28 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
From this post about the Cyclopean City and from Dylath-Leen where the black galleys call, while Gotham and Pelé have their dark corners, this is altogether more dubious and corrupt, a place halfway over the border between spacer legend and nightmare.

It descends from the old world, Eastern Europe or even the Near East (or pulp interpretations of them), though easily enough accessible through the Devil's Gulf, in which wise, it could be a dark reflection, or opposite, of Mirenburg. A star chart, for what that's worth, would place it in the Old Space regions of the Rigunmor Consortium, near the Borealin border.

Very occasionally, when the observer effects run thin, what I've called (just now) the Night Sail, or possibly Night Mail, docks to take on passengers, if they have the fare.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Dec 25 2018, 01:44
uncle_jimbo Dec 26 2018, 10:31 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
.. the great, the old, the terrible city of unnumbered crimes. First and foremost a port, there's something about the plan of Rotterdam that seems inspiring, the shape that inserts itself into land and river, the vast industrial lights and towers on the water. Canopus of the strange god, the many mouths of Ostia, the treaty port (and the great concrete deepwater port) of Shanghai, the old jetties of Hamburg, the riches of Cartagena and the Villa Medici sound promising. edit: Maybe I can work in: Arzach I don't know if I'll use all this, just gathering in possibilities.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Dec 26 2018, 11:07
uncle_jimbo Dec 26 2018, 21:13 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Where the White Pteron flies

Megastructures of volcanic stone or black steel, bridging and curling through the sky (TTA has more), or rising like mountain ranges from dry brown foothills or blue-aired mountain woodland. Huge, diffuse orange work-beacons.

Fields of the bones of huge creatures. Battalions on the march.

A vast orange sun by day and dense wheeling starfields by night. Sometimes the air appears red - not clouds, but a wash of colour, split with dry lightning. Seas are wine-dark, a naturally deep cobalt blue discoloured by the light, with stacks and cliffs of bare dark rock.

For the true inhabitants, tower-masses of rock with cheerful yellow lights. High angular walls, mountain streets with many levels of balconies looking inwards, where citizens look across at each other. Enclosed block temples of moderate size, mostly a grand chamber inside, with shadowy vertical piers, lamps and choir-stalls, strange composite divinities and servant beings. Buildings are cubic if not vertical, some topped with domes. These are superstructures to the docks: horizontal space brings profit, height brings vantage.

Amphora-syndics with bearded heads on smooth ceramic globular bellies, gliding around on rails to give their mercantile insights (or naval architects working with cutting beams from the fusion bottles in their bodies). Skull racks or spike-rows.

Below, wide dusty commercial roads and rail-yards, where the office blocks and warehouses of the concessionaires bustle with business.

So, most of it.

Perhaps the guilders found somewhere like Venus and stripped off most of the atmosphere, assembling all the carbon into solid structures and selling it to VoidCorp in one shipment. (Perhaps this could only work in dream logic - but there are consequences to invoking such a state.) But the chandelier-beasts could never fly in two-thirds of an atmosphere.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Dec 26 2018, 22:20
uncle_jimbo Jan 8 2019, 09:21 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Along those secretive streets, wide tramways and wage-workers' dreary commutes, the life of the city.

edit: I don't think it rains much on Myrina though.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Jan 9 2019, 20:10
uncle_jimbo Jan 9 2019, 08:01 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
There might be a theme of taking glancing views and suitable individuals from elsewhere:

Yun-Bai-Du section
Yun-Bai-Du map
uncle_jimbo Jan 10 2019, 19:37 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Dec 27 2018, 08:13)
Megastructures of volcanic stone or black steel, bridging and curling through the sky (TTA has more), or rising like mountain ranges from dry brown foothills or blue-aired mountain woodland.

This should help.

And: Zhangjiajie

Something, maybe as an opposite, for its condition: City of Truth edit: But better: Vanity Fair and the Doubting Castle
Here, Venus should tell me something about Myrina's transformation and I can see connections elsewhere to Earth and Luna.

I'll park another general view.

edit: Of a tradition

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Jan 18 2019, 08:45
uncle_jimbo Jan 12 2019, 01:40 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Jan 11 2019, 06:37)
Something, maybe as an opposite, for its condition: City of Truth  But better: Vanity Fair and the Doubting Castle

So Vanity Fair is a dangerous place, with Beelzebub in charge, but it's mitigated by its nature as a market of ideas, where the exchange is always open. As in the City of Destruction itself, a traveller can meet with agents of both evil and good.

A number of groups on Myrina might help navigate the plutocracy, such as:
  • various loonies raving in the streets, some of whom know truths about this mad place,
  • Anarchists, very much in the old style,
  • I can't see unions taking hold, as such - they'd end up in front of Judge Hate-Good for restriction of trade pretty quickly. Groups for the less privileged to assist each other might look more like tongs, but leaving Earth's ethnicities behind (they might have come from the Treaty of Earth's ethnicities instead), maybe keeping the name benevolent associations - I want to describe these for Gotham as well.
For another kind of collective - taxi hives from Pollen.

VoidCorp monitors its old association with the planet, across some very careful firewalls. Insight has not been as successful in isolating the para-logical elements of Myrina's Grid, spreading some very strange Borgesian (or Calvino-esque) intrusions into the Stellar Ring.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Jan 12 2019, 03:27
uncle_jimbo Jan 14 2019, 01:42 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Skull racks or spike-rows.

I'm interested in those images that seem popular lately, where the faces of hundreds or thousands of people form pixels that make a composite of a much larger, different face.

Transhuman Space had an apposite illustration, but I don't see it to show on Google Images. Also, a scene that I've mentioned before (but why stop with one) from Being John Malkovich.

Oh Hell. I see where this might go, and I don't know if it can be un-seen. While I think about that, and foundations, here's six other places - though another perhaps should be on the list.

edit: A couple of exercises in statistics:
The Legion
The Mob, and newspapers

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Jan 14 2019, 13:15
uncle_jimbo Jan 18 2019, 00:44 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Sometimes the air appears red - not clouds, but a wash of colour, split with dry lightning.

The grand piers and arcologies overmass this world's thin and streaming clouds, but a living planet still needs service towns, where the lightning dances sometimes in the evening heat above a lonely landing field and a five-to-ten-storey tower on the plains.

(Bit of a wild night here)

This is the edge of dream, and you may remember what The Voyage of the Dawn Treader said about dreams that come true. So it's not a calm and safe loneliness where nothing happens. Sometimes it's more like the stillness before a tornado.

Likewise, the dirt and decay of the cities is not a dull and settled grime, though it often can be squalid, depressing and broken-down. It's a jungle rot where any unexpected thing could mutate to try to eat your arm off, take over your brain or maim and consume you in some other novel fashion.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Jan 18 2019, 08:09
Pages: (2) [1] 2 

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search