Fighter squadron , Any advice on running one? in Rules & Errata
SanChristo Dec 24 2018, 18:57 Group: Heroes, Level 11 Quote Post
Author (DrShocter @ Dec 24 2018, 16:01)
And that is a “gung ho” Marine.

I like "going go marine" better.
Myridian Dec 24 2018, 19:12 Group: Heroes, Level 20 Quote Post
Thanks for the ideas cobalt_phoenix. I normally use a hybrid of the 2 for building ships and fighting them, so I had thought about doing the fighters in Starship terms.
Hadn;t given much thought to drones though. Hmmm. Doesn't have the cache' of having your own fighter, but as you say less character death.
In D&D I would occasionally assign a group of rescued NPCs to the party with each player having 4 or 5 to be responsible for and the idea was to get them all back to town safely. The players had fun with those times, Maybe having them pilot drones wouldn't be a bad thing.

Heck I might make them higher level officers sending troopies out to live and die in fighters. Give them Tactics and let them play the pilots as secondary characters and try to win by keeping them alive.
Hmmm...lots to think about.
cobalt_phoenix Dec 24 2018, 20:28 Group: Heroes, Beyond Level 20 Quote Post
One thing I will point out is that drones don't have to be that much safer. Let me explain.

The speed of light is roughly 300 Mm per second. If the drone control ship is sitting 100 Mm away from the battle, it requires about a third of a second for the signal to go between them. If the computers take another one third of a second to process the data, and it takes the operator a second to issue commands, the total time from initial drone message to new command reception is two seconds, and that doesn't include the drone taking any new action.

So unless you are using FTL comms to relay messages, it would be better to have that drone control ship only a couple of dozen megameters away. Which is also close enough for them to be at risk.

While it may seem like the drone operators get to have all of the fun, it just isn't true. The pilot is doing his best to maneuver to keep distance with the battle, the system operator is working hard to keep the stealth and ECM functioning so the ship remains unseen, and the gunner is busy running passive scans to get weapon locks and reconnaissance intel. So yeah, all 5 characters should be really busy during battle.
Myridian Dec 24 2018, 20:41 Group: Heroes, Level 20 Quote Post
I'm warming to the drone idea, I had thought about thought casting to the fighters, but I don't want to go transhuman.
SanChristo Dec 24 2018, 20:47 Group: Heroes, Level 11 Quote Post
I'm a big fan of crashed ship stories, too. A couple of your guys crash onto a planet or meteor and have to survive the native plants and animals, plus find a way to get back to their squad. Cliche? Or classic?
cobalt_phoenix Dec 24 2018, 20:55 Group: Heroes, Beyond Level 20 Quote Post
Oh, and on the same note as my last post, you could govern optimum control distance by adding a step penalty to the drone pilots for range. For example, a +1 step penalty for every, say, 75-100 Mm (I'd lean toward 75, but 100 wouldn't be terrible). That way, if the ship slips into the next range increment, it would be to everyone's benefit for the pilot to fly them in closer.
Myridian Dec 24 2018, 21:10 Group: Heroes, Level 20 Quote Post
And I think I'll make up a heavy cruiser as you suggest. At first I was thinking it might be too much a show of force for diplomacy missions, but then I thought, speak softly and carry a big stick. Plus it would have rooms for science labs and such.
I'm attracted to the heavy matter beam as a sort of city killer to be the primary show of force and heavy enough to crack a planetoid if one needs cracked
I'll probably throw in cold sleep berths with the crew to cycle in and out of, the time between worlds would offer too much roleplay time for the time we have to play, this also allows me to move plot ahead where needed. Also to have an emergency where they have to scramble while still sick from waking out of suspension.
uncle_jimbo Dec 24 2018, 21:16 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (cobalt_phoenix @ Dec 25 2018, 05:15)
If you are wanting to use Warships, I would recommend a heavy ship hull. Perhaps a battle cruiser (if it was a dedicated military design) or one of the heavy merchant hulls to give it a feel of "wartime rush job" (a quick conversion or perhaps a specifically designed fast build; see the British Light Fleet Carriers for inspiration).

I've suggested the term "pocket carrier" for a design built with a battlecruiser hull. That has the consequence, which might be an advantage or not to the narrative, that the carrier becomes relatively well protected against anything but serious anti-ship weapons and carries a large complement of fighters compared to other roles less than direct fleet confrontation. A smaller hull needs the heroes more, but could make logistics and endurance more fiddly for the GM.

I had some thoughts about sources - you could be there until next Christmas quite easily - but not much practical experience to offer. It sounds as if it's coming together.
Myridian Dec 24 2018, 21:19 Group: Heroes, Level 20 Quote Post
Author (SanChristo @ Dec 24 2018, 20:47)
I'm a big fan of crashed ship stories, too. A couple of your guys crash onto a planet or meteor and have to survive the native plants and animals, plus find a way to get back to their squad. Cliche? Or classic?

Oh that's classic. I'm planning a rescue mission for sure. Maybe an enemy turret in a forward "listening post" took down a ship and forces the pilots to land a goodly ways away and work through hostile terrain and patrols to rescue the ...shall we say scientists?
One of my players always has to have explosives skill, she should take great joy in blowing the installation up after the rescue.
Myridian Dec 24 2018, 21:28 Group: Heroes, Level 20 Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Dec 24 2018, 21:16)
I've suggested the term "pocket carrier" for a design built with a battlecruiser hull. That has the consequence, which might be an advantage or not to the narrative, that the carrier becomes relatively well protected against anything but serious anti-ship weapons and carries a large complement of fighters compared to other roles less than direct fleet confrontation. A smaller hull needs the heroes more, but could make logistics and endurance more fiddly for the GM.

I had some thoughts about sources - you could be there until next Christmas quite easily - but not much practical experience to offer. It sounds as if it's coming together.

Thanks for the link, the thread will come in handy
Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3 

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search