Balbergulbness: Gryphs , was Skeksis in Species, Aliens, Xenoforms & Monsters
uncle_jimbo Apr 7 2018, 22:14 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Apr 7 2018, 14:36)
I think False Machine is on to something with The Wodlands.

The Melancholic Condors sound as if they might be using otaku technology, though they're not digital life themselves. Probably they stole it and then it affected their minds quite severely.

I'd like to make the creatures themselves big and scary, though decrepit and pitiful to see. More than one setting has had dragon-like sophonts.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Nov 12 2018, 23:09
uncle_jimbo Sep 24 2018, 09:22 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Apr 8 2018, 09:14)
I'd like to make the creatures themselves big and scary, though decrepit and pitiful to see. More than one setting has had dragon-like sophonts.

Initially I don't have a lot of changes in mind to the original:

Skeksis Game Data

STR        6-15
DEX        4-12
CON        4-14        Though a large and long-lived species, many have become sickly.
INT        6-15
WIL        4-14
PER        6-13

Free Broad Skills
CON        Stamina
INT        Knowledge
INT        one of Computer Science, Life Science, Physical Science or Technical Science
WIL        Resolve
PER        Leadership

Species Abilities
Resistant: A skeksis takes one point less damage from an effect that deals more than one point of damage and allows a feat check or skill check to resist.

The same stats should work for urRu, though I don't have an immediate use for them.

Garthim could be kroath, though that seems very awkward. Their masters do seem to have got around a bit. Another precedent comes to mind.

edit: I don't know if it helps me that Strange Stars has included something similar.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Nov 1 2018, 15:47
uncle_jimbo Oct 6 2018, 20:54 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Jun 11 2016, 12:17)
Without clear intention, I've made the tothul very Vancian.

This reminds me strongly of The Dragon Masters, though the background architecture looks more like a caravanserai than caverns - recombination not being a bad thing for this thread.

edit: Skeksis as greph (there's that way with words) could make an interesting reversal. That planet would stand in danger of revenge from an advanced species - but maybe not one that could sustain a large-scale attack. It's not at all clear which side heroes might support.

Similarly to skelephants, a cyber-necro-saurian could be a fun acquisition as a mount, on its planet of construction.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Nov 15 2018, 00:04
uncle_jimbo Oct 8 2018, 08:56 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Sep 24 2018, 20:22)
Their masters do seem to have got around a bit. Another precedent comes to mind.

Neither respected as Elders nor fresh as youths, many in the setting might dismiss them as Archaics.

edit: Some might remember their past alliances, or a crew of Gerontobats who dare to steal from them might trigger a bitter War of the Old.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Nov 12 2018, 23:09
uncle_jimbo Oct 28 2018, 08:51 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Oct 8 2018, 19:56)
Some might remember their past alliances, or a crew of Gerontobats who dare to steal from them might trigger a bitter War of the Old.

How does this affect the players, whose characters are not likely to be from either of these groups? Probably involuntarily: the gryphs have tracked down one of the offending senior criminals to the settlement where the heroes happen to be, and launch an indiscriminate assault.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Nov 12 2018, 23:10
uncle_jimbo Nov 12 2018, 03:59 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
edit: Someone's made a similar connection to mine: Vulturemen

Author (uncle_jimbo @ Apr 17 2018, 21:33)
a caucus-race

There might be something more to this (and, of course, the quadrille), mentioning Baguazhang or even Deleuze and Guattari, if I can keep a straight face.

I've been told it gets confusing when I post lots of tangential and esoteric links. So: why do so many gryph behaviours involve going around in circles? And what does this have to do with Jurassic Park, or isopods?

OK, I'm definitely obscuring matters again. A useful point, then, is that aliens should sometimes be a bit weird. They don't always break down along the same boundaries as familiar life.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Nov 12 2018, 23:10
uncle_jimbo Nov 12 2018, 23:29 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
I'll change the thread title, since I'm moving away from using The Dark Crystal so literally and a different name should fit better in multiple ways. The stats above are a direct interpretation, so I'll leave that.

They should have human servants, some probably similar to Dirdirmen (they might be unfree knights) and others as Troopers, Giants, Attendants, Trackers and even, for some, Hacks (I'm not sure if Vance gave them a name - I've noted them elsewhere as "riding beasts") though human stock might not have the strength for their preference. The technology to make the modified sorts might not be their own originally - I've hinted at something, several times, that might just need a bit more research.

Besides slaves, the gryphs have human allies, the Nabobs or Other Old, absorbed into their culture, who take the field in battle-chairs or war-frames, surrounding their withered forms like monstrances. (This is honestly what I originally had in mind with the Trump reference. Another name: Retirees, those who retired (from battle), derived from multiple former or even current Stellar Ring nations. Maybe. This would raise some continuity problems. Again. It's quite possible there could be more than one historical set of Nabob families.) The groups don't always see eye to eye and might come to a disagreement on the subject of Taklamakan, to put a (historical, or off-planet) name to the above.

Author (uncle_jimbo @ Dec 22 2017, 15:23)
I had another source in mind for here or Concord Taurus, but it might be pretty distracting. I'll just mention the Funfair Nomads.

They might come in handy.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Jan 11 2019, 23:30
uncle_jimbo Nov 15 2018, 00:33 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Oct 8 2018, 19:56)
Some might remember their past alliances, or a crew of Gerontobats who dare to steal from them might trigger a bitter War of the Old.

Or add to a grudge, not previously an active conflict, already going on - I have some ideas where the gryphs got their servants and an officer may have got away. His oldest files show a long and elaborate name, but for decades, at least, he's gone in the Wilds by Sargon.

Author (uncle_jimbo @ Nov 13 2018, 10:29)
The groups don't always see eye to eye and might come to a disagreement on the subject of Taklamakan

The Nabobs, some more than others, might find no issue with the treatment of those they (inaccurately in part) call betas, but become less inclined to go along with attacks on those they consider real humans, to preserve their own interests if nothing more.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Nov 15 2018, 06:58
uncle_jimbo Nov 19 2018, 22:49 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Nov 13 2018, 10:29)
Besides slaves, the gryphs have human allies, the Nabobs or Other Old, absorbed into their culture, who take the field in battle-chairs or war-frames, surrounding their withered forms like monstrances. (This is honestly what I originally had in mind with the Trump reference. Another name: Retirees, those who retired, derived from multiple former or even current Stellar Ring nations. Maybe. This would raise some continuity problems. Again. It's quite possible there could be more than one historical set of Nabob families.)

In game mechanics, they could start as Administrators, Corporate Executives or Military Officers of Ordinary to Good quality, as required by the scenario, some with stellar nation benefits of a certain era, gain some standard skills - powered armour, languages, Leadership, maybe another - and apply aging adjustments. It could be a useful occasion to abstract some results from an old document.

I've mentioned a couple of times that learning new languages seems highly useful - to the character, and to the GM - and reasonably easy, given how the Teach rules work. In organised play for another system, they make pleasant and not-overpowered random boons. For Alternity, a scenario might offer a new language to learn, possibly as one of several optional rewards.
uncle_jimbo Jan 11 2019, 23:29 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Monorail!

I'm not sure how much will come across to anyone who hasn't lived there, but at least some connections to my ideas above should appear:

Death Sydney
Pages: (2) [1] 2 

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search