Pages: (2) 1 [2]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
> Printable Miniatures for Star*Drive, What would you like to see?
Quote Post
dblade, Group: Heroes, Sancrotari Fanboy submitted 8 Resources has rated 1 resources, submitted 3 artworks and is involved with 4 projects.

I would definitely be interested. I've started downloading Starship blueprints/maps for potential games and would like to have minis to place on it.
offline PM Email Poster Yahoo
Quote Post
time, Group: Heroes, Orlamist Monk submitted 1 Resources has rated 21 resources, submitted 0 artworks and is involved with 0 projects.

I would also be interested in Star*Drive specific paper minis.

I would also be interested in a service that would help create unique paper mini images for Player Characters.
offline PM Email Poster
Quote Post
MadKalnod, Group: Heroes, Dork Lord of the Sith submitted 0 Resources has rated 0 resources, submitted 0 artworks and is involved with 0 projects.

Author (Guardian @ Aug 14 2018, 01:30)
Ah, the purist streak of wanting just the right miniature. Now I get where you're coming from.

I was pointing you to DT so you could get an idea for pricing based on effort. If what you want would work out to the equivalent of $80 worth of paper minis, you need to ask if that's worth asking your brother to do that for just you, or if this is something that would need to be sold to justify the amount of work it would entail.

And now I'm suddenly picturing a revision of this plan, selling minis also for supers and modern era. And several of your aliens would also work for that, a la Dark*Matter.

Anyway, for the most part I don't use minis for anything. If I need to put down markers, I just use some pennies (heads up=alive, heads down=dead). A friend of mine just raids his wife's sewing room (with her blessing--she's a gamer too) to get different size spools of thread.

I was mentioning AMFES because they have sheets of what they call legions, basically lots of footsoldiers for your fights. I thought that might be useful as well, but it seems I didn't mention it. Apologies.

Exactly. I was in a D&D 3E campaign years ago, and as enjoyable as it was, there were moments when the illusion was diminished slightly by the GM setting down minis for the surprise fight scene, and I thought, "Ah, we're fighting... Andy's 40K Tyrannids. Again."

That's why when I started running Dark*Matter, I went with printable minis. For a modest outlay, usually $2 to $5 per set, I get a dozen to two-dozen figures for less than the usual cost of a single metal mini; they don't take up space except on disk until I need to print them; I can print them as many times as I want for a specific encounter; and once printed they're (mostly) flat cardboard and I can store a couple dozen each in those snap-seal plastic tubes that powdered drink mix packets come in (and as I drink roughly a half-gallon of iced tea every other day, I have plenty of those piling up). As a result, I have a huge library on my laptop of figures ready to print for a wide array of fantasy, historical, modern and future scenarios. Except, as stated previously, ones that come even close to looking like the sci-fi races I want to use.

Also, it's less a matter of finding other people to buy-in to defray the initial cost, and more about having thought of a potential new market for the Unlikely Heroes Studios art team. When they aren't working on their comics, which generally require a Kickstarter campaign to fund the cost of printing physical books, they take in a lot of commission work, gaming character portraits included. It occurred to me that something like printable minis, which are a low-overhead, digital-only product, might be something they could do to sell online without being a lot of trouble to make and distribute, and could then be a (hopefully) decent and steady source of additional income. I had the idea for Star*Drive first, but if it does well, then the plan is definitely to do the same for other genres.

I'm aware of the "Legions" concept, as the Disposable Heroes/Statix lines from Precis Intermedia Games include "Army sheets" filled by copies of the same figure; and Arion Games includes the PowerPoint files for each set so you can copy-and-paste one figure until you have a whole squad. That's another question I should be asking possible customers here: Would you prefer pre-composed army sheets, or the freedom to set up your own?
offline PM Email Poster MSN
Quote Post
MadKalnod, Group: Heroes, Dork Lord of the Sith submitted 0 Resources has rated 0 resources, submitted 0 artworks and is involved with 0 projects.

Author (time @ Aug 16 2018, 14:31)
I would also be interested in Star*Drive specific paper minis.

I would also be interested in a service that would help create unique paper mini images for Player Characters.

If you want to commission player character images, here's where to ask:

https://www.facebook.com/UnlikelyHeroesStudios/

or here:

https://www.facebook.com/Zack-Dolan-Art-1515788775327758/
offline PM Email Poster MSN
Quote Post
Guardian, Group: Heroes, WarHulk AI submitted 2 Resources has rated 11 resources, submitted 0 artworks and is involved with 0 projects.

For legions, well, that's where I think black and white art might be the way to go. If the end user wants them colored, the actual colors used are likely to be specific to that team.

If you have access to a batch of monster books for sci-fi games, you can probably get a good feel for what the most numerous types are going to be---I'd put money on reptoids and catgirls fighting it out for the top spot (Hi M'Ress!), although Greys are likely contenders as well. The more common ones might be what you sell as an evergreen product (as it were), with the rest being more niche on even contract work.

Of course, you can duplicate certain well known alien species in ways that don't step on any IP toes (space elves, complete with a textbook on Advanced Logic alienwink.gif ).
offline PM Email Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Star*Drive | Next Newest »

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll