Forum Rules Forum rules and Optional Alternity rules. MUST READ
The Expanse Kickstarter in General Zone
Giorgio76 Aug 8 2018, 17:43 Group: Heroes, Level 7 Quote Post
The Expanse Kickstarter

I am also participating in the KS above, as not only am I enjoying the show on Amazon Prime (and yes, I did dish out $20 to see Season 3), but I see it as a good resource for me as a GM of what a "near future" human only SF-FI setting could look like. The technology of moving in space without any "high tech" or "FTL drives", the lag in communications, the vastness/emptiness of space, the "submarine warfare" style of deadly naval combat (no force-field/shield, or energy weapons tech; stealth + detection + first strike condsiderations), the way commerce works, life in space, and the shear ruthless politics between Earth, Mars and the Belt/Outer Planets is a source of lot of RPG inspiration for me.

For those who haven't seen the show I highly recommend it, but please don't post an spoilers for others. I have yet to read the books, but I will do so very soon.

The Expanse, and Why You Should be Watching It. - Spacedock Short

Also, I must give a shout out to excellent YouTube channel Spacedock The Expanse Playlist for an incredible look at the Vehicles, techs and space stations of the TV show. Well worth watching, but again, it does have some spoilers.

uncle_jimbo Aug 8 2018, 21:06 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
I picked up the Quickstart, which includes brief AGE rules. So far I thought it presented as a space opera in an older sense - more interaction with humans than the environment. That's OK and probably describes large parts of most SF campaigns.

It suggests food security as a significant theme, which does say something about the setting.

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search