Setting-specific equipment , Iconic items in Equipment, Cybertech and Weapons
uncle_jimbo Jun 27 2018, 09:49 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
It's probably understandable that there's a limit to what can be said about general types of equipment of a particular Progress Level / Technological Era. Many settings, though, have their particular technological and scientific assumptions that produce a broad and unique array of items in response, more so if some degree of FX comes into play.

What proportion of a game's equipment list might be unique to the setting? 30%? For some, I'd say more.
cobalt_phoenix Jun 27 2018, 16:20 Group: Heroes, Beyond Level 20 Quote Post
An interesting idea, Jimbo. I would say that almost everything should be unique, and for another reason that you didn't mention: anatomy.

Weren have large hands with sharp claws, t'sa have small hands with small claws, and fraal have small hands with long narrow fingers. I actually doubt that they can comfortably use the same items, be they weapons or even data slates. As a result, a piece of tech developed by a specific species would likely be unique to the setting due to their preferred design standards and the technology they have developed.
uncle_jimbo Jul 17 2018, 11:07 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Some purchases might express the setting's culture and common life rather than anything particularly adventurous, with uses in ceremony, leisure, food preparation, hygiene or simply items of clothing.

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search