Creative Baddies? in Gamemasters Corner, Adventures & Plots
Guardian Jun 14 2018, 04:20 Group: Heroes, WarHulk AI Quote Post
For starters, working out what would be the best legal strategy (they're playing the defense, because I've discovered PC prosecutors just quit). Often, that results in other players needing to do some legwork, either physically or virtually. Basically, it's a Perry Mason movie.
DrShocter Nov 13 2018, 15:36 Group: Heroes, Level 7 Quote Post
I know this is resurrecting an older thread, but I just wanted to add that making characters use those personality skills can make even a combat heavy game more complex and interesting. If the big bad is in a more powerful social position the PCs will need to gather allies and isolate their foe. They may do some role playing with NPCs who may capture their interest, or make plans among themselves and complete complex skill checks. In my games the stakes for failing in these regards are resources and allies. Either the PCs have the people and the stuff, or the Bad Guy does.

I have found bad guy organizations are useful in this regard, because an infinite number of alien infiltrators or space pirates or whatever can make it clear that some Amazing attack rolls are not going to end the game. Of course, a battle scene always livens up one of my games, but a final battle can only happen when the social conflict has been resolved.
SanChristo Nov 13 2018, 16:07 Group: Heroes, Level 9 Quote Post
Right on. That's smart.

What I've been building for my latest campaign is a bunch of monsters that all require a different strategy to take them down. Some have powerful melee attacks, so characters need to keep their distance; others have powerful range attacks that are useless in close quarters. Some have vulnerable body parts, that players can hit with called attacks. My favorite has a heavily armored crest like a triceratops, but flanking it will bring it down fairly easily.
uncle_jimbo Nov 13 2018, 21:39 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (DrShocter @ Nov 14 2018, 02:36)
If the big bad is in a more powerful social position the PCs will need to gather allies and isolate their foe. They may do some role playing with NPCs who may capture their interest, or make plans among themselves and complete complex skill checks. In my games the stakes for failing in these regards are resources and allies. Either the PCs have the people and the stuff, or the Bad Guy does.

I was just reading about the Kovakistan campaign (some swearing and drug references .. in fact, have a general content warning) where the players are trying to organise an uprising against US occupation, using mechanics of Secrecy, Public Support, War Weariness (on the part of "US Inc.") and their Bonds, based on the Delta Green ruleset. I don't know that it's a complete sub-system for guerrilla theory yet, but it sounds promising. Violence is certainly on the cards, but head-on confrontation is just not going to work.

edit: Now I have Abba running through my head. An adversary that can't be defeated by combat power: the terrible earworm.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Nov 14 2018, 06:32
Pages: (2) 1 [2] 

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search