[SAS-A] The End of Time in Homemade Settings, World Building & Galaxy Construction
uncle_jimbo Jun 4 2018, 11:23 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
I've made a very quick and derivative sketch of a playtest scenario from some suggestions in the draft rulebook. I could go on to develop some suitably weird creatures and hazards.

Any thoughts? What sources (fiction, games, movies) would bring in interesting ideas?
derek_holland Jun 4 2018, 14:37 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
Weird as in The Mist or Clark Ashton Smith?
uncle_jimbo Jun 5 2018, 08:27 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
I can't remember seeing or reading The Mist and would usually regard most of CAS's work as fantasy (though it might be interesting to describe an entity like Mordiggian with a scientific point of view, and "Song of the Necromancer" seems oddly appropriate) - but that's why we have the internet! rather than talking to ourselves all the time.

Some of my initial thoughts for sources, not in order of importance:
  • Michael Moorcock, The Dancers at the End of Time
  • H. G. Wells, The Time Machine
  • H. P. Lovecraft, "The Shadow out of Time"
  • Monte Cook Games, Numenera
  • Jack Vance, the Dying Earth series
  • edit: see below
  • Greg Bear, City at the End of Time
  • William Hope Hodgson, The Night Land

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Aug 27 2018, 08:45
derek_holland Jun 6 2018, 18:13 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
uncle_jimbo Jun 8 2018, 22:07 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
To start with, the physical strangeness of many of CAS's creatures and worlds brings up a difficulty that Greg Bear recognises, how odd it seems that a setting billions or trillions of years in the future should be populated with more or less 20th century human beings. There must have been a reason to recreate the human species, in particular, in a genetic and neurological state relatively close to our biological origin and expansion from our home planet, by creatures or machines who might be the distant cultural, more likely than physical, descendants of humanity.

Olaf Stapledon might help me a little on the ages between and survivals of more advanced beings.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Jun 8 2018, 22:11
uncle_jimbo Jun 9 2018, 00:08 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (derek_holland @ Jun 7 2018, 05:13)
http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/short...e-eternal-world

This looks pretty useful to give some idea of the capabilities of ultra-advanced technology, as well as the Timeless Ones' abilities (I don't think they have technology, strictly speaking).

The tentacled beings and their city sound awfully like Lovecraft's descriptions in "The Dreams in the Witch-House" and "At the Mountains of Madness". The Timeless Ones could share an influence (depending on timing) with Marvel.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Jun 9 2018, 00:10
uncle_jimbo Jun 9 2018, 22:27 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Jun 9 2018, 11:08)
The Timeless Ones could share an influence (depending on timing) with Marvel.

I think to describe them in game terms (and they can, to some extent, be opposed), I'll at least need the starship rules.
derek_holland Jun 10 2018, 13:44 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
Huh. I thought the two that you would have mentioned first are The Light from Beyond and A Star Change (for hazards), but then I am not sure how heroes would deal with either situation successfully.

And I agree with your assessment of the Timeless Ones- they incorporated their technology into themselves and became something much more (murderous).

Another author you may want to look up Jim is A. Merritt. All I have read is The Moon Pool, but that has several elements you could use for your project. And what I have read of his other works, they mostly apply as well.
derek_holland Jun 27 2018, 11:02 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
Would graphic novels be appropriate sources, Jim?

If so, Metabarons is very epic in scope but some of the adventures of the variosu barrons (mostly the later generations) might be useful.
uncle_jimbo Aug 27 2018, 08:34 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
I happened across:

The Dying Earth subgenre

edit: I knew I'd read Philip Jose Farmer's version and was looking for it before:

Dark is the Sun

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Aug 27 2018, 08:43

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search