Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
> Stellar Ring languages
Quote Post
uncle_jimbo, Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin submitted 63 Resources has rated 119 resources, submitted 0 artworks and is involved with 3 projects.

The campaign setting suggests heroes might learn these, which seem to be the major human languages of Star*Drive: Hatire, Galactic Standard, Nariac (called Nariaslavic, I believe, elsewhere), Rigunmor, Thuldan and Old Earth languages.

What do we know of how these sound, or were derived?

Do we know what languages the past stellar nations, or Earth's PL 6 power blocs, favoured?

The planet names of the New Dreth Commonwealth in Dewi (Star Compendium) seem to be derived from Welsh legend and Dreth seems to be a Welsh word meaning something like "taxes".

The sourcebook gives French as an example of an Old Earth language. I've suggested that the Sultanate of Fomalhaut and its descendants probably at least partly used Old Earth Arabic and the Asimoor Pirates (independently) have a new-ish Arabic-derived language.

I can imagine Dark.Matter's concept of language groups could need some alteration, not least because some of the above are likely to be deliberately constructed languages that may include features from distant Earthly groups.

Nonhumans, at least for general character generation, seem to have one dominant language per species.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Apr 12 2018, 09:55
offline PM Email Poster Users Website
Quote Post
cobalt_phoenix, Group: Heroes, Beyond Level 20 submitted 2 Resources has rated 6 resources, submitted 0 artworks and is involved with 0 projects.

I would think that the Thuldan language would be derived from Latin, due to their intentional links to the Roman Empire.

I think the Nariac language is Narslavic, so it should be similar to Russian and similar languages spoken in Eastern Europe. For that, they probably use some variation of the Cyrillic alphabet.

Rigunmor is probably a trade language, since the guild was international. Such a language was probably derived from short hand notations used by members to describe products and activities. Given enough time and use, it could become a language to itself, composed predominantly of old slang terms and short hand concepts.

Due to their theocratic ideals, I would think that the Hatire use ancient alien words in their language, linked specifically to the Cosimir. I can also see that their decades of isolation prior to GW1 combined with their likely rejection of life extension technology probably allowed them more time for rapid linguistic evolution.

I can see Galactic Standard as consisting of words and grammar taken from all of the major species. In this regard, care is taken for syllables and sentence structure (can a fraal pronounce the "sh" sound, and can a t'sa pronounce the letter "r"?). I can actually believe that a treaty exists between the stellar nations (likely now under the Galactic Concord) that dictates what is official in Galactic Standard. Such a treaty probably established a group consisting of scholarly representatives from each of the major species who work together to find words usable by at least the vast majority.
offline PM Email Poster
Quote Post
uncle_jimbo, Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin submitted 63 Resources has rated 119 resources, submitted 0 artworks and is involved with 3 projects.

Author (cobalt_phoenix @ Apr 13 2018, 03:16)
I would think that the Thuldan language would be derived from Latin, due to their intentional links to the Roman Empire.

I was thinking of Thuldan when I mentioned constructed languages. They seem to admire the Roman army, but also (from their flag) the Egyptians, Mesopotamians, Maya, Mound Builders and/or Khmer, and I'd be surprised if they didn't take something from the Chinese as well. Gregor Kent sounds Eastern European in descent - I've speculated Romanian, but his family could have emigrated to anywhere on Earth. Or a parent might have been called something completely different but been an admirer of Game of Thrones. Finally, they ought to follow the Evil Overlord List, specifically item 21: no direct knock-offs of defeated civilisations.

The Rigunmors are canonically derived from an international trade cartel and I think an old one, with roots before the 20th century. If "international" means not English-speaking, possibilities might be northern European (speaking German or Dutch), Levantine/middle Eastern (Arabic or Greek) or southeast Asian (Chinese-speaking though not PRC). When I think about it, Dune uses at least the first two influences, with obviously different socio-economic assumptions, so using vaguely Dune-ish terms with no single actual lift could work.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Apr 12 2018, 20:02
offline PM Email Poster Users Website
Quote Post
cobalt_phoenix, Group: Heroes, Beyond Level 20 submitted 2 Resources has rated 6 resources, submitted 0 artworks and is involved with 0 projects.

Author
I was thinking of Thuldan when I mentioned constructed languages.

We were thinking alike on that.

Author
They seem to admire the Roman army, but also (from their flag) the Egyptians, Mesopotamians, Maya, Mound Builders and/or Khmer, and I'd be surprised if they didn't take something from the Chinese as well. Gregor Kent sounds Eastern European in descent - I've speculated Romanian, but his family could have emigrated to anywhere on Earth. Or a parent might have been called something completely different but been an admirer of Game of Thrones.

I actually just did a search on both "gregor" and "kent", and it turns out that they both have German roots. While that can still be Eastern Europe, it is probably either Austrian or German.

With that said, most real-world nations have directly copied the Roman Empire in some way, either directly (using the term "Caesar" to describe a ruler, including the terms "Kaiser" and "Czar/Tsar/Csar", all of which mean "emperor" in Latin) or indirectly via symbolism. The latter includes having using the color red, using Latin for writing (usually mottoes and similar ideals), the use of the eagle as a national symbol, and the use of Roman architecture (columns and arches) in major government/public buildings.

I can definitely see the Thuldans heavily tapping Roman concepts without directly lifting the ideas directly, though there can be some exceptions. Given their militarism, I can see Thuldan elites posing for paintings and sculptures while wearing some kind of armor, which was popular in the Roman Empire.

One of the flaws, of course, is that the Latin language is effectively dead (some people still speak it, but it is predominately scholarly), so they would have to come up with new words to express new ideas. For example, how about "quantum computing"? Or how about "cruiser"? Open up Google Translate and see what those come out as in Latin (hint: "cruiser" in Latin is "cruiser"). Add to that the number of English words derived from Latin roots and you start running into trouble if you are going to effectively "update" the language.

So yes, I do think they would likely use Latin as a basis, though if they were initially founded by German colonists, I can see that playing heavily into the language too. I can see that Thuldan could be an interesting blend of German and Latin, especially since German uses the Latin alphabet as its basis.

Author
The Rigunmors are canonically derived from an international trade cartel and I think an old one, with roots before the 20th century. If "international" means not English-speaking, possibilities might be northern European (speaking German or Dutch), Levantine/middle Eastern (Arabic or Greek) or southeast Asian (Chinese-speaking though not PRC). When I think about it, Dune uses at least the first two influences, with obviously different socio-economic assumptions, so using vaguely Dune-ish terms with no single actual lift could work.

While there are many more people who speak languages other than English, English is still the most widely spoken language in the world. There isn't any other language that is a secondary or tertiary language in as many countries as English is. It is also the primary language of diplomats and aviation around the world.

With that said, "international" to me just means they could be any where. They could all be in Europe or North America or Asia, or they could be scattered across the globe. I can see them thriving in a number of nations, especially those that have either: 1.) significant free trade agreements and lots of trade with numerous nations or 2.) a system that they can manipulate to ensure they have no competition. To me, that means the EU and USA, as well as more dictatorial areas in places like Africa and Asia. Shockingly, them being in China is a toss up, as the state controls so much of that but they could be bought into by the Rigunmors.

So, with that said, I still think it probably isn't a secret trade language that just gradually became an open national language, and is instead a slang and professional language derived from a large number of sources that eventually evolved into a new language.
offline PM Email Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Star*Drive | Next Newest »

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll