Dystopia , Failed futures, or all too successful in Homemade Settings, World Building & Galaxy Construction
uncle_jimbo Mar 30 2018, 01:55 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
SanChristo's campaign sounds interesting and might be topical. The playtest release mentions dystopian campaigns a few times. I've just come across Uprising for FATE on Kickstarter.

Dystopian, oppressed worlds are a long-standing part of science fiction. Technology might be only a little ahead of the present day (the more punk aspects of cyberpunk being a common example of the genre) and may not have advanced as far as a more optimistic work might assume for the setting's date. The world may or may not have any fantastic elements, while if it does, they're often integral to the bad situation or the heroes' alienation.

Often, life is cheap, the ruling powers are overwhelming and winning combats isn't a safe assumption, either as a story theme or actually threatening death, capture and severe hardship on a regular basis in play.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Mar 30 2018, 07:11
SanChristo Mar 30 2018, 10:24 Group: Heroes, Level 4 Quote Post
I'm definitely into the high risk environment the dystopian environment presents, and--to my mind--the high risk is intimately related to the open-ended nature of a good campaign.

So, if my players are trying to navigate a situation--do we talk our way past the guard or shoot our way past--they're weighing real consequences. If it's understood that they're going to be fine either way and are ultimately all going to arrive safe and sound in a predetermined conclusion, then what's the point?
uncle_jimbo Apr 3 2018, 08:26 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Oddly enough for a gamer to say, there's such a thing as being too cynical and depressing. It's probably a different point for everyone. I was reading a detective novel some years ago set in Nazi-occupied France, with an SS officer and a French collaborator as the investigators. I put it down about halfway through. The things the protagonists were prepared to go along with were so much worse than anything their murderer had done that I ceased to care whether they succeeded.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Apr 3 2018, 08:27
SanChristo Apr 3 2018, 09:08 Group: Heroes, Level 4 Quote Post
Agreed. I've stopped reading books and turned off movies. For me, one of the differences between what I'm willing to watch and what I'm not is something you alluded to--how the investigators were willing to do some heinous stuff. It comes down to the heroes' actions and not the results. I can watch a movie with a bummer ending, so long as I respect, admire, or at least empathize with the heroes.

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search