Setting a Campaign in our town , Google Earth FTW! in Homemade Settings, World Building & Galaxy Construction
SanChristo Feb 22 2018, 13:56 Group: Heroes, Level 7 Quote Post
Has anyone else set a campaign where they live? We're trying it and finding that it works amazingly well. We know all the landmarks around town and can use the latest google earth for most our maps--which is of course, way more expansive and detailed than anything I could come up with.

Last night for example, players had to find a way into town, tool around in the warehouse district, head to the hospital, intercept a prison transport, etc--and for all of it, we could trace the path on google earth and know the details of our surrounding.

To make it more interesting, we've set it a few decades in the future, so I can change as much or as little as I want.

Anyone else tried something similar?
uncle_jimbo Feb 22 2018, 20:07 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
I ran PBEM well before Google Earth existed and used, partly modifying, online topo maps of some real towns at much lower resolution (but that might have been an advantage when I wanted to adjust certain relationships with Photoshop). It certainly saves making up terrain features as the players choose different routes.

In another scene, I knew what structures and access routes the opposition would use and which town they were in, so reality probably wouldn't have fit my needs.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Feb 22 2018, 20:12
cobalt_phoenix Feb 23 2018, 06:37 Group: Heroes, Beyond Level 20 Quote Post
I've played a couple of Dark Matter games where we used on-line maps, but that was long before Google Maps was created. It was still helpful, however, since we at least had a rough idea of where everything was and the GM didn't have to do much more than print off a map of the area we were in.
DrShocter Feb 24 2018, 16:16 Group: Heroes, Level 5 Quote Post
I’ve enjoyed playing either historical fiction games set in the local area (to the local history museum!!!) or else play the Gamma World version of my local area. Kind of want to play a Gamma World game set in Atlanta.

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search