Silly Noob Combat Question in Rules & Errata
DrShocter Feb 14 2018, 18:55 Group: Heroes, Level 4 Quote Post
Sorry I was not clear, Cobalt was right that I meant the secondary stun damage would often be the deciding factor in a battle. He’s on the money about equipment shaping the experience, too. When the damage range on the weapons is higher than the die range on the armor, stuff is going to get intense.

PL 5 Armor is mostly garbage when compared to the damage range of PL 5 weapons, so it shouldn’t be tough to have an exciting and dangerous combat. Let us know how it goes!
Myridian Feb 15 2018, 01:52 Group: Heroes, Level 20 Quote Post
Page 53 PHB gives a rule to make a stamina check when you take an Amazing hit or be knocked out.

Also you can use the dazed optional rule to inflict some penalties if the Heroes are powering through too much combat.
Myridian Feb 15 2018, 01:58 Group: Heroes, Level 20 Quote Post
Also, when playtesting first edition I ran a hero with a short coat against a mercenary with a sword. Merc rolled Amazing and max damage(+str bonus), hero rolled minimum armor and first encounter was instant death
Gave a healthy respect for the lethality of Alternity
and watch for the death spiral, penalties can rack up pretty quick.
Guardian Feb 15 2018, 02:15 Group: Heroes, WarHulk AI Quote Post
Yeah. Also make sure you're familiar with the rules on cover. If the players won't use it, have the opposition do so. And be mindful of the chances to flank or make a rear attack. It's really easy to WTFPWN the heroes if they're stupid, and even weaker opposition can inflict a TPK if they fight smart and the heroes don't.

Of course, there's also the issue of luck with the dice, which my mooks never seem to muster up.
SanChristo Feb 15 2018, 13:36 Group: Heroes, Level 2 Quote Post
I love this game, and I love this community I've stumbled into. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful. I'll post in the GM section about how last night's adventure went.

Cobalt & DocShoc, I'm doing a near future campaign, so I kept everything at PL5 with hopes of introducing some PL6 elements in future adventures. The baddies had Assault Gear which ended up being way too effective. They barely took any primary damage.

Myridian, you bring up one of the things I'm most wary about. I want players to feel a real threat of danger, but I don't want them suddenly dropping dead.

Guardian, I'll definitely do that. I've been reliving my childhood by playing the recent remakes of XCOM, and I know how important cover can be.
Guardian Feb 16 2018, 04:23 Group: Heroes, WarHulk AI Quote Post
Sounds like you might also be a member of the Guild?

Author
The Evil GM's guild - For GMs who don't mind hitting their players with unfathomable firepower if they are stupid enough to bring it on themselves...and sometimes even when they aren't.
SanChristo Feb 16 2018, 11:02 Group: Heroes, Level 2 Quote Post
Guardian, it's a bit long, but I think I'll have that tattooed across my forehead. smile.gif
Pages: (2) 1 [2] 

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search