A new crime in Equipment, Cybertech and Weapons
uncle_jimbo Feb 10 2018, 07:55 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Russian nuclear scientists arrested for unsanctioned Bitcoin mining

Russian security officers have arrested several scientists working at a top-secret Russian nuclear warhead facility for allegedly mining crypto-currencies.

The suspects had tried to use one of Russia's most powerful supercomputers to mine Bitcoins, media reports say.

The supercomputer was not supposed to be connected to the internet - to prevent intrusion - and once the scientists attempted to do so, the nuclear centre's security department was alerted. They were handed over to the Federal Security Service (FSB), the Russian news service Mash says.

In the Cold War the USSR's first nuclear bomb was produced at Sarov, during Joseph Stalin's rule.

The top-secret town was not even marked on Soviet maps and special permits are still required for Russians to visit it.

There are suspicions that the radioactive polonium-210 used to kill ex-FSB agent Alexander Litvinenko in London in 2006 came from Sarov.

The Federal Nuclear Centre reportedly employs up to 20,000 people and its supercomputer boasts a capacity of 1 petaflop, the equivalent of 1,000 trillion calculations per second.
uncle_jimbo Feb 12 2018, 08:41 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
..And there's a lot of it about (though I have to say, if the previous story was confusing, figuring out what the bad guys actually did in this one will truly make the head throb):

Government websites hacked to mine crypto-currencies

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search