Megastructures , Building the unimaginable in Spaceships & Vehicles
derek_holland Jul 14 2017, 17:25 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
You may want to read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Neill_cylinder

And if you have Transhuman Space, it has several other types of space habitats that could be of the size you are looking for this project.
cobalt_phoenix Jul 14 2017, 19:36 Group: Heroes, Status +10 Quote Post
The O'Neill cylinder is perfect for this, and I have been looking at it for this. Thank you.

I don't have Transhuman Space, so I'll take a look at it. I only really started discussing one type (orbital rings), but I am going to go through at least a number of them here.
derek_holland Jul 16 2017, 13:41 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
Instead of terraforming, humanity may go with gigantic arcologies both on Earth and offworld. Those could get quite large.
cobalt_phoenix Jul 16 2017, 17:30 Group: Heroes, Status +10 Quote Post
Author
Instead of terraforming, humanity may go with gigantic arcologies both on Earth and offworld. Those could get quite large.

I was thinking of something like that, as well. I would think that some amount of terraforming may still be needed, though. Take Mars, for example. You could cover the entire planet in giant arcologies, but some level of terraforming may still be helpful. For example, using satellites and/or orbital rings to create a magnetic field to protect the atmosphere and people on the planet from solar flares and other harmful radiation, which reduces the amount of radiation shielding you have in the arcologies themselves, could prove helpful. With that done, you can begin adding to the planet's atmosphere, which could help to warm it up and eventually turn it into a true Earth-like world.
derek_holland Jul 16 2017, 17:43 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
So the arcologies would be buried locations for people in a distant future to explore?

Hmmm. Sounds familiar for some reason.
cobalt_phoenix Jul 16 2017, 17:50 Group: Heroes, Status +10 Quote Post
Maybe, maybe not. The old arcologies built before the terraforming was completed could just serve as the oldest parts of colony. Maybe some of the earliest, built before even the presence of the magnetic field, would be buried underground (it is the easiest and most effective way to protect them from radiation and the cold, after all), and some could have been lost over the millennia.
Pages: (2) 1 [2] 

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search