Videos to potentially mine for ideas in Homemade Settings, World Building & Galaxy Construction
cobalt_phoenix Jun 15 2017, 13:38 Group: Heroes, Status +10 Quote Post
A couple of months ago, I came across a Youtube channel that has some potential for idea mining for Alternity. While I don't know if anyone else has come across it, the channel can be found here: Isaac Arthur. So far, I've watched quite a few of his videos, and it has already got me thinking about potential ways to incorporate the concepts into a campaign.

(A word of warning: he does have a speech impediment, but not one I find overly problematic, specifically that he has trouble pronouncing the letter "r". He recommends you turn on the closed captions, but so far I haven't had need to.)

Some potential videos:

Water Worlds and Ocean planets
A number of planet types that are covered in water, how likely they are have native life, and how to colonize them.

Ecumenopolises
"World Cities", complete with some concepts as to how to build them and how many people you can fit on Earth using them (spoiler: well over a trillion).

Cyborgs
Some interesting ideas, including replacing all of the bones in a human body with metallic bones that contain not only tissue to produce red blood cells, but also other electronics or other tissues to boost humans in some way. This could prove interesting for the mechalus.

Stupid Aliens
The first of a series on intelligent life, this one made me laugh.

Terraforming Techniques
An interesting look at terraforming. One idea I liked was that he points out the problems with heating and restarting the core of Mars (it would take a lot of nuclear warheads to pull it off). Instead, he proposes using satellites generating a magnetic field to deflect solar wind and other stellar radiation.

I will also say that he spends a lot of time discussing megastructures, including orbital rings, mass accelerators miles long, space elevators, and similar works. Again, it is interesting, and he does touch on some ideas from science fiction but intends to use more down-to-earth work on how some of this can be accomplished, and does include links to research papers he refers to. I will also note that he does have the degrees to backup his concepts.

The actual specific description for the channel: "This channel focuses on exploring concepts in science with an emphasis on futurism and space exploration, along with a healthy dose of science fiction. While we explore many concepts and technologies that are far beyond us now, we try to keep everything inside the bounds of known science or major theories."

Does anyone know of any other potential video mines for campaign ideas? In this regard, it does not need to be a full movie, but perhaps just keep it to Youtube videos or similar works.
derek_holland Jun 21 2017, 19:37 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
University of California TV (UCTV) has many science based videos of varying levels of usefulness. My favorite is still https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUruflVy8Vc (Mapping the Future)

And thank you for providing all these links!
cobalt_phoenix Jun 30 2017, 17:03 Group: Heroes, Status +10 Quote Post
Issac released another video this week, and I think it could prove interesting to future settings (including S*D):

Orbital Rings

While I would encourage people here to watch it, the basic premise is that you can put up one or more rings in orbit of a planet where the net mass of the ring spins at appropriate orbital velocity, but not all of it. The rings he talks about have a core composed of basic metal wires (specifically ferrous metals, such as iron or nickel) that spin at or above normal orbital speeds for its height. Around this core is a fixed structure which does not spin and is actually anchored to the ground at numerous spots with simple tethers (serving as cables for single cars or even entire trains).

The fixed structures actually do have gravity (though the amount would depend on the distance from the surface) and would be above the majority of the atmosphere. In essence, you can have people shuttle up from Los Angeles, catch a train to Tokyo, and be able to do that at hypersonic speeds. The best part is that this doesn't require fuel, only electrical power, which could be provided by fusion generators on the ground.

He also notes that you can build multiple rings all across the planet, and even ever widening circles of rings to connect the Earth to the moon via connecting tethers. As the distances involved are not that far (relatively speaking), these things could be built with current materials and not super materials like carbon nanotubes, graphene, or diamond nanothreads.

Author
And thank you for providing all these links!

My pleasure, Derek. And if you haven't already, check out his video on Arcologies. I think you would find it interesting, and I should have included it before. You could also potentially use it for that idea you had a while back about a single ship arriving on a planet and using the local materials to build a colony (it gives you at least a good general idea as to how big such a colony may be for 5,000 people).

This post has been edited by cobalt_phoenix on Jun 30 2017, 17:08

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search