Designs of alien vessels? in Spaceships & Vehicles
derek_holland Apr 12 2017, 18:32 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
I want something that looks nothing like the Enterprise, Falcon, Moya, fortress ship, Star Fury, etc. I want an alien ship inside and out. Stats for speed and manuverability are irrelevant as it won't be going anywhere- I need it as a ruin for GW, something that slipped into that reality from elsewhere. I also do not want something that is impossible to describe to the players. It is a blob, box or floaty thing will get repetitive and pointless after a while.

Have any suggestions, both personal and blog or published sources?
cobalt_phoenix Apr 13 2017, 04:12 Group: Heroes, Status +10 Quote Post
So you are basically wanting not only an external image, but also a set of deck plans? How big of a ship are we talking about (relative ship sizes from Warships would be helpful)?

Off the top of my head, I would recommend Deviant Art. They may have something (I've found a couple of deck plans on their, though they are admittedly Star Wars based).

Also, you could try searching through some of the ship miniatures posted by MadKalnod. Once you find one you like, you can just develop your own rough deck plan.
uncle_jimbo Apr 13 2017, 09:18 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
It's a little difficult to make a definite design that looks nothing like any vehicle invented by human minds, if it has to support the same physical requirements - so maybe some of those requirements don't hold.

The aliens' interstellar drive might be faster than light, but not much faster, say two to ten times lightspeed, so that they found it inconvenient either to pass many years on the voyage or to preserve and reawaken their bodies. Therefore, they travelled as digital recordings, enlisting edited low-resolution copies of trained system-ship crew's minds to control the vessel. The starship might have almost no habitable spaces, only cargo bays and a small chamber (maybe even smaller than a cryogenic storage pod) to regrow bodies for its passengers at the intended destination, neither of which have any need to connect to the controlling systems of the ship.

The aliens also might have used a reactionless drive, which they sensibly placed at the centre of the hull, without non-functional jets or streamlining in any particular direction.

The resulting structure, while quite large and clearly complete and independent, might lack many of the components that planet-dwellers associate with vehicles, looking more like some immense and incomprehensible industrial device.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Apr 13 2017, 09:20
derek_holland Apr 13 2017, 13:24 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
CP- I want something fairly sizable- it should take a few weeks of game time to find most of the compartments and general features and a year to do a through search. So dreadnought or so.

And I will take a look at MadKalnod's work.

Jim- thank you. I was wracking my brain trying to think of something that wasn't biological at all and the idea of an industrial plant just didn't come to mind.

Thank you both.
cobalt_phoenix Apr 13 2017, 16:25 Group: Heroes, Status +10 Quote Post
Author
I want something fairly sizable- it should take a few weeks of game time to find most of the compartments and general features and a year to do a through search. So dreadnought or so.

Okay, so a super-heavy hull in the rough range of 3000 to 6000 HP.

That actually gives you a pretty good concept to go with, actually. Since it will take them time to explore, you don't need a full deck plan, just a basic diagram for yourself to use to sort out where some of the stuff is. I would also recommend grouping the decks together for this. For example, if you are thinking that the main hull has 12 total decks, you may want to come up with the rough floor scheme that includes 3 or 4 of those decks. Any additional decks above and below the main hull can be grouped together in other ways.

Author
The aliens' interstellar drive might be faster than light, but not much faster, say two to ten times lightspeed, so that they found it inconvenient either to pass many years on the voyage or to preserve and reawaken their bodies. Therefore, they travelled as digital recordings, enlisting edited low-resolution copies of trained system-ship crew's minds to control the vessel. The starship might have almost no habitable spaces, only cargo bays and a small chamber (maybe even smaller than a cryogenic storage pod) to regrow bodies for its passengers at the intended destination, neither of which have any need to connect to the controlling systems of the ship.

The aliens also might have used a reactionless drive, which they sensibly placed at the centre of the hull, without non-functional jets or streamlining in any particular direction.

The resulting structure, while quite large and clearly complete and independent, might lack many of the components that planet-dwellers associate with vehicles, looking more like some immense and incomprehensible industrial device.

I actually like all of this. It allows a ship to go against known human tastes in GW.

However, even if the crew is basically stored in a digitized "transporter stasis" (which has been done in Trek, with the best example being the TNG episode where they find Scotty), I would still recommend including crew quarters. Of course, since they are not human, you can come up with almost anything. The species could hang from the ceiling like bats when they sleep, so there wouldn't be a bed, just a bar of some kind hanging overhead. If they were never occupied, the rooms may have very little within them, or are completely immaculate.

Also, the ship could have a superstructure of some kind, such as a command or launch tower. If the ship were buried under centuries of dust, dirt, and overgrowth, this structure could be the only thing visible on the surface, with the bulk of the ship's decks serving as a catacombs (with the usual tales of ghosts, ghouls, and horrors, which turn out to be still active defense and maintenance systems).
Guardian Apr 14 2017, 02:42 Group: Heroes, WarHulk AI Quote Post
One thing I've used for alien designs is crystal lattices. They can be all kinds of weird, you generally understand how the design was arrived at, and you can add fun bits pretty easily.
derek_holland Apr 14 2017, 15:15 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
Odd colors and shapes are a must for this. Take a torus and use it in triples for door and hallway signs (colors and angles impart information). Or three wavy lines warning of electrical faults.

What would be nice, but apparently non-existent for the moment, is a sandbox generator for very large ships. Ironic considering how old the Warden is (1976) and how useful such a generator would be for Met Alpha and similar settings.
derek_holland Apr 15 2017, 15:37 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
I also asked for help on rpg.net and this is the resulting thread- https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?801808...ssive-starships

Some of the best material can be found here: https://wizardawn.and-mag.com/tool_smap.php

and here:

https://fatesf.blogspot.com/2013/03/project...io-writing.html

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search