Star clusters in Homemade Settings, World Building & Galaxy Construction
uncle_jimbo Apr 8 2017, 22:19 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Quite a few games and settings (I've done it myself) occur within concentrations of habitable systems, maybe a few dozen or a few hundred, of definite extent and situated some distance away from the main expanse of the galaxy, often but not always with a name.

In some ways, this might just be an equivalent of the fantasy continent-on-a-page map - to put it most harshly, a failure of imagination - but they seem to have some useful qualities. Maybe we can say some things in general about them from actual observations (say, of moving groups and open clusters) or as a convention.

It might also help to distinguish stellar groups that are not as useful for the space opera style of gaming. Globular clusters, for instance, are probably too dense, too elderly and too far from the galactic disk to offer a familiar setting.
derek_holland Apr 9 2017, 18:27 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Apr 8 2017, 18:19)
It might also help to distinguish stellar groups that are not as useful for the space opera style of gaming. Globular clusters, for instance, are probably too dense, too elderly and too far from the galactic disk to offer a familiar setting.

A familiar setting probably not, but that does not mean they are useless- https://www.alternityrpg.net/onlineforums/i...c=5145&st=100&#

(there are 7 posts that follow that one of mine that explain why)
uncle_jimbo Apr 10 2017, 16:59 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Star clusters often seem to have their own Ancient species, who have met an obscure doom, leaving various ruins and artefacts behind. Some resources mentioned elsewhere could give a GM ideas.

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search