Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
> How far in the future is Dark Matter?
Quote Post
derek_holland, Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation submitted 0 Resources has rated 10 resources, submitted 0 artworks and is involved with 0 projects.

Dark Matter is one of those "near future" settings that exist in a multitude of games. But how far in the future is it set? 5 years, 10 years,a little longer? I get the irony of the question considering its publication date, but it also something to keep in mind when playing the game even now.
offline PM Email Poster Users Website
Quote Post
uncle_jimbo, Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin submitted 62 Resources has rated 116 resources, submitted 0 artworks and is involved with 3 projects.

Less, I think. The campaign was published in 1999 and takes place "at the dawn of the twenty-first century". The letter to new recruits on page 40 is dated November 4, 2001. (That has some implications which I haven't yet gone into.) On page 119, the timeline ends with "2001 .. Dark.Matter campaign begins".
online PM Email Poster Users Website
Quote Post
cobalt_phoenix, Group: Heroes, Status +10 submitted 2 Resources has rated 0 resources, submitted 0 artworks and is involved with 0 projects.

I would say late 2001 to early 2002, given the tech standards. Remember that the iPhone was in 2007, and the handheld GPS receiver in the AEG didn't include maps (which were already common in 2003).
offline PM Email Poster
Quote Post
derek_holland, Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation submitted 0 Resources has rated 10 resources, submitted 0 artworks and is involved with 0 projects.

For those who play it now, how far in the future (or past) do you run it?
offline PM Email Poster Users Website
Quote Post
Guardian, Group: Heroes, WarHulk AI submitted 2 Resources has rated 11 resources, submitted 0 artworks and is involved with 0 projects.

I haven't tried running it since, oh, 2004 or so (about the time it became clear I'd have to rewrite a large amount of tech).

If I was going to run it again, I'd probably move the timeline back to say 1995.
offline PM Email Poster
Quote Post
Lazarus, Group: Heroes, Amazing Hero submitted 0 Resources has rated 1 resources, submitted 0 artworks and is involved with 0 projects.

I haven't played D*M in a long time but if I started again I would place it in the present day. Obviously certain things would need to be updated for 2017.
offline PM Email Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Dark•Matter | Next Newest »

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll