S-Persons , was Cryptics in Species, Aliens, Xenoforms & Monsters
uncle_jimbo Dec 27 2016, 07:41 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
I might refer, later, to an aspect of Natasha's story that I don't think the movies have mentioned (and Marvel may never use it in the cinematic universe).

This next idea follows on in a way, without being directly related. I might call it polyphyletic. Despite appearances, they're neither Thuldan nor Radiant (above) in origin, but a side branch of a couple of other developments that I want to describe .. carefully.

These beings get an all too brief mention in "The Dead Lady of Clown Town", from which they crop up in several places in Mindjammer: the Darradine Rim world of Zhaffrane III, one of the pre-generated characters for Dominion (from a dissimilar background) and the "Avian/Reptilian" option for Mindjammer Traveller, an upcoming book that looks to extend both the original setting and the converted game system in interesting ways. From these various descriptions, Enhanced Smell/Taste seems to be a standard trait with Scaled Skin (to the point that it gives an armour value) and IR Vision as more optional enhancements.

I need a term here for a group of engineered organisms that don't share biological descent, but were created by the same entity. Maybe a non-specific biological grouping could be a phylete, or my particular concept could be a marque or oeuvre. The latter even sounds as if it might have something to do with eggs, though Wiktionary disagrees.

S-Persons
Encountered in scattered parts of Concord Sagittarius since the middle years of GW II, these engineered mutants, often regarded locally as hybrids or part-humans, sometimes become stereotyped as emotionally cold, ruthless, predatory (and partly in response, have adopted stoic and militaristic values comparable to several Earth human societies) and as having scaly green skin, which is in fact quite variable between individuals.

Concord reunification researchers hypothesise that the s-person's snake-like features are basal to its genetic code and that bipedalism, fore- and hind-limbs and the ability to hear and speak human languages are superficial forms - a type of manipulation well beyond Sothvec adaptations and to some, not properly termed "engineering" at all, but interestingly similar to Thuldan biotechnology that produced the warbeast.

Their biological advantages include an advanced metabolism enhanced for positive control in alternate metabolic states, improved tri-fibre musculature with a smooth response curve for fine control and great power, and enhanced mid-brain functions of rational problem-solving and interpretation of perceptions. Defects in these somewhat finely tuned mechanisms can result in musculo-skeletal and neural problems, episodes of erratic metabolic response, or malfunctions in hearing.

S-persons are carnivorous, often subsisting as herders. Names starting with the sounds S-, Bo-, Po- and Ko- seem to be regarded as antique and traditional among them and may be used as parts of surnames in modern times, which otherwise are rather complex, in two to four parts, following a short and plain-sounding personal name and sometimes a middle name.

S-Person Game Data
Ability Scores

STR -- 6-15
DEX -- 4-15
CON -- 4-15
INT -- 4-14
WIL -- 4-15
PER -- 4-12

Species Abilities
Enhanced Smell/Taste should largely work as I've described for canoids .
Advanced Capabilities: An s-person who is a unique engineered mutant may acquire the Dermal Armour or Thermal Vision mutant advantages as Ordinary mutations.
Typical Drawbacks: An s-person who is a unique engineered mutant may choose these drawbacks to count as one step more severe than listed, or any s-person may select one such drawback to act as a Flaw granting 3 Skill Points per mutation point it would normally give: Temporary Weakness (DEX, CON, INT or WIL), Susceptible to Damage (Low Impact), Thermal Intolerance, Inefficient Metabolism, Slow Reflexes or Sound Sensitivity.
(Note that their ability score minimums for DEX, CON, INT and WIL above also represent possible genetic defects, as described earlier, in place of Reduced Ability Score drawbacks.)

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Dec 28 2016, 01:50
uncle_jimbo Dec 27 2016, 23:50 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Dec 27 2016, 18:41)
I need a term here for a group of engineered organisms that don't share biological descent, but were created by the same entity. Maybe a non-specific biological grouping could be a phylete, or my particular concept could be a marque or oeuvre. The latter even sounds as if it might have something to do with eggs, though Wiktionary disagrees.

In this oeuvre, then, c- and d-persons certainly fit the sources. I've mentioned a beautiful example of the first in Mindjammer, but I think it's possible to do more than that setting has done so far with the second.

I seem to recall an underperson of bovine ancestry with an M name, though I could be imagining that. Ursine forms might reasonably appear as b-persons. I have some other plans for cetaceans (I briefly mentioned orcas publicly - yet another legend for the Neutralities).

Many of them have those funny surnames, too. Rebellious youngsters sometimes refer to humans as "epps", though their elders disapprove (edit: 40,000 in Gehenna comes to mind).

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Dec 28 2016, 01:48
uncle_jimbo Feb 4 2017, 00:51 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Dec 27 2016, 18:41)
This next idea follows on in a way, without being directly related. I might call it polyphyletic.

.. So there's always a chance it could get reclassified.

As with pans, it's entirely possible that separate research programs worked on anything that seems to be a good idea, creating unrelated populations with subtle or major differences. For example, besides b-persons in or around Sagittarius, the Gaean labs could have worked on ursine uplifts who could have got away as a group and quietly disappeared into an uncontacted world of a different sector, now within Concord Taurus.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Feb 4 2017, 05:39
uncle_jimbo Feb 27 2017, 19:48 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Unseen amidst the chaos of galactic war, a mysterious conspiracy, network or perhaps just a criminal enterprise of possible Anarchist Union descent, the Sodality of the Smoke Coil, has developed and spread, now encountered as closed houses or ill-reputed starships in widely separated locations that pass information to each other by an unknown, seemingly instantaneous chemically-mediated method.

Their enemies have occasionally met with a continuation of the biological science that made the s-persons, Unhumans, superficially humaniform beings of centipedal or arachnid genetics and horribly alien thought processes.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Feb 27 2017, 19:55
derek_holland Feb 27 2017, 20:07 Group: Heroes, Master of Mutant Creation Quote Post
Why centipede? I can sort of see arachnid genes as they do have a variety of traits that could be useful for spacefaring peoples, but myriapods?
Guardian Feb 28 2017, 04:26 Group: Heroes, WarHulk AI Quote Post
He's pushing the "Ick, Alien" button. Although my view on insectoid aliens was shaped by watching Star Trek Animated as a kid, so I say "cool".
uncle_jimbo Feb 28 2017, 08:08 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
If behaviour carries over at a near-cellular level, centipedes are active hunters, I recall some mention of social responses (edit: in the form of parental care, at least, and it won't be hard to be more social than 99% of spider species) and they seem well-adapted to living on starships. But yes, I have other reasons.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Jun 15 2017, 00:36
uncle_jimbo Feb 28 2017, 08:20 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
I described earlier a possible way for people to get from the present Concord Sagittarius to Concord Taurus during the war: The Mirach Corridor The convoys might have carried refugees or ferried independent ships, if the latter were desperate enough, or taken on crew members to replace losses.

It requires some further assumptions about the relationship between these people, Borealins, Orions and Orlamu, but nothing that should cause me problems. In fact it might be more interesting if they got on well with Orion crews while dealing with ongoing suspicion from Borealins.
uncle_jimbo Jun 15 2017, 00:34 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Feb 28 2017, 19:08)
If behaviour carries over at a near-cellular level, centipedes are active hunters...

A(nother) reason they may have attracted interest of genetic engineers: Anamorphosis

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Jun 15 2017, 00:37
uncle_jimbo Jul 19 2017, 09:25 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (uncle_jimbo @ Dec 28 2016, 10:50)
In this oeuvre, then, c- and d-persons certainly fit the sources. I've mentioned a beautiful example of the first in Mindjammer, but I think it's possible to do more than that setting has done so far with the second.

I think I'll get the stories out of a box on the weekend. Some very preliminary thoughts:

Besides a peculiar form of animal management, c-persons often find an affinity for careers that involve travel and excitement, such as becoming traders, starship engineers or duellists.

Feelings: A c-person's emotions are intense and long-lasting, though not entirely congruent with those of humans. She can choose either to increase her Will resistance modifier by two steps, or gain a 1-step bonus to encounter skills.
Pages: (2) [1] 2 

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search