Vehicles using Warships Rules , trying my hand at it again in Spaceships & Vehicles
uncle_jimbo Mar 6 2017, 20:41 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (cobalt_phoenix @ Mar 6 2017, 16:19)
I can also see some new items coming up, as well.  For example, a plasma driver.  The mass driver is a PL7 rail cannon that uses gravity rather than electromagnetism to accelerate a projectile.  The plasma driver is a modified mass driver.  It is equipped with a plasma generator, and its projectiles are equipped with a plasma sustainer.  When fired, the projectile is encased in what amounts to a particle shield.  However, rather than acting as a means to increase damage directly, the shield instead serves as a sabot for the projectile while it is in the weapon and to reduce atmospheric drag, increasing muzzle velocity, impact velocity, and effective range.  Of course, it is more expensive and power hungry than a normal mass driver, but some would consider it worth while.

It sounds like an energy-based equivalent of supercavitation. Benefits would be much smaller in air than water, more worthwhile for an extreme velocity and long range. A weapon firing from the surface to orbit might benefit, particularly if it might fire at a low angle through a long column of atmosphere - such as a planetary defence battery that needs to shoot at hostile ships as soon as the planet's rotation brings it to bear. Such an installation would have fewer limits on size, power supply or fire control computing than a vehicle.

I might comment on sizes later.

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Mar 6 2017, 20:42
cobalt_phoenix Mar 7 2017, 04:25 Group: Heroes, Status +10 Quote Post
Author
It sounds like an energy-based equivalent of supercavitation. Benefits would be much smaller in air than water, more worthwhile for an extreme velocity and long range. A weapon firing from the surface to orbit might benefit, particularly if it might fire at a low angle through a long column of atmosphere - such as a planetary defence battery that needs to shoot at hostile ships as soon as the planet's rotation brings it to bear. Such an installation would have fewer limits on size, power supply or fire control computing than a vehicle.

Pretty much, yes, it is an airborne energy-based supercavitation system.

I remember reading about some experimental aircraft (though for the life of me I can't seem to find it now) that were intended to use plasma or another gas to form a surface coating that produced less friction with the air when traveling at high speeds. Since it sounds cool (and that is what sci-fi is all about), I figured it would be a good addition.

I can see the weapon being used for a number of things. It is still ballistic, so it may be problematic for firing at targets at low orbit. However, I can see it being used on destroyers, cruisers, and battleships, as well as artillery, to lob kinetic kill projectiles at ranges even more extreme than a normal rail cannon.
uncle_jimbo Mar 7 2017, 06:32 Group: Grid Cop, 5éme Corbin Quote Post
Author (cobalt_phoenix @ Mar 7 2017, 15:25)
I remember reading about some experimental aircraft (though for the life of me I can't seem to find it now) that were intended to use plasma or another gas to form a surface coating that produced less friction with the air when traveling at high speeds.

I seem to recall that as one of the features of the nuclear-powered bomber program of a few decades ago. I would have been thinking of Project Pluto, which proposed to use a nuclear ramjet, but not, as far as I can see, a plasma sheath in this sense. edit: But see: Compression lift

This post has been edited by uncle_jimbo on Mar 7 2017, 08:00
cobalt_phoenix Mar 7 2017, 13:59 Group: Heroes, Status +10 Quote Post
More like this, actually: Plasma Stealth.

Also, I have seen in various science fiction the use of energy shielding (usually intended to defend against attack) as a means to allow spacecraft and even aircraft to fly much faster through an atmosphere.
Pages: (2) 1 [2] 

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search