A New Year , Brushing off some dust in SQuAT - Alternity Character Tool
Redjack Jan 16 2014, 05:56 Group: Heroes, Master of SQuAT Quote Post
So I brushed the dust off my Sigma Quadrant Alternity campaign and started running it on the table top for the new year. I loved being able to pull up the old XML files, given old characters a restart bonus, allow new players to whip up a character, export it, print it and go.

I didn't like the issue with my previous choice to use Wing Ding Fonts over ASCII. So tonight I brushed off my development environment (which I installed and *mostly* configured into a VM last year), fixed the missing libraries and validated that SQuAT compiled. Yes.

Then I fixed the WingDings in the export, tested, fixed, tested, fixed (ad nauseam) and finally got that all tweaked out. I disabled the "Switch To" menu options (because none of them fully worked either), cleaned up some funky races some well meaning person added to my species.xml file and BAMB! Spitting out a little cleaner character sheets.

So... does anybody else still use SQuAT?
time Jan 16 2014, 22:43 Group: Heroes, Orlamist Monk Quote Post
Author (Redjack @ Jan 16 2014, 01:56)
So... does anybody else still use SQuAT?

Yes. Even when I don't have a game for the character to play in, I enjoy using the program to generate characters.
dalexgray Jan 16 2014, 23:26 Group: Heroes, Level 20 Quote Post
Yep, all my campaigns. I have a virtual machine running XP pretty much just for SQuAT.
Redjack Jan 16 2014, 23:40 Group: Heroes, Master of SQuAT Quote Post
I got my password reset to upload today so I'll have a point release posted in a day or two - Just getting ready to head out the door right now.

PS: Time - I advanced the timeline of Sigma Quadrant by about a year and a half. A new team is seeking to determine what happened to the crew of The Yahir's Return. Merok and the entire crew are over a year MIA.
time Jan 28 2014, 23:31 Group: Heroes, Orlamist Monk Quote Post
I'd love to see what happens! Are you planning on running a forum game here on A.net again? If so, I'll be sure to tune in and watch, but I won't be able to participate this time around.

weren_smilie.gif Merok got a new lease on life recently, or at least his name did, when I started GMing a Star*Drive campaign with a local game group. He's a GM character, but I haven't gotten a chance to use him yet. We moved on to another game system before I could introduce him. sad.gif
TerroX Jan 28 2014, 23:57 Group: A.Net Staff, Admin of Doom Quote Post
I might use it for quick Supporting Cast generation, except I need a few things.

- non-professional; list priced skills; no minimum ability scores
- species "other"
- skills; some way to save skillpoints on each broad and speciality skill. for uses such as teaching and free skills that aren't in the rules.
blacksunrunner Jan 29 2014, 22:19 Group: Heroes, Master of the Puniverse Quote Post
I use it all the time and wub.gif it! I'm keen to see the upgrade. alienthumbsup.gif

So where is it then? tongue.gif
Redjack Jan 29 2014, 23:58 Group: Heroes, Master of SQuAT Quote Post
Author (time @ Jan 28 2014, 17:31)
Are you planning on running a forum game here on A.net again?
Not at current.

Author (time @ Jan 28 2014, 17:31)
weren_smilie.gif Merok got a new lease on life recently, or at least his name did, when I started GMing a Star*Drive campaign with a local game group.  He's a GM character, but I haven't gotten a chance to use him yet.  We moved on to another game system before I could introduce him.  sad.gif
The party found him last weekend. He had been captured by the inhabitants of the planet. He escaped two months earlier; Alixia freed him and Khaskusk. They were separated during the escape and he has been living in the jungle since.

Author (TerroX @ Jan 28 2014, 17:57)
I might use it for quick Supporting Cast generation, except I need a few things.

- non-professional; list priced skills; no minimum ability scores
- species "other"
- skills; some way to save skillpoints on each broad and speciality skill. for uses such as teaching and free skills that aren't in the rules.
Elaborate on each of these. I actually want to make some tweaks to allow skills/ranks as awards. While I'm working on that, I could try to make sure your needs are incorporated.
Redjack Jan 30 2014, 01:02 Group: Heroes, Master of SQuAT Quote Post
Author (blacksunrunner @ Jan 29 2014, 16:19)
So where is it then? tongue.gif

v0.8.1 uploaded. Changes are minor, but a start is a start.
Guardian Jan 30 2014, 01:19 Group: Heroes, WarHulk AI Quote Post
List those 'funky races' and I can probably tell you which campaign they were from.
Pages: (2) [1] 2 

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Topic Options

AlternityRPG.Net
Help Search